Why Bible talks about Adam's sin but not Eve's

In Genesis 3 Bible tells us that Eve ate fruit first and gave Adam, and he also ate. Why does New Testament says that we are sinners because of Adam? While Bible also says that all sinned. Does it mean that Eve’s sin was somehow different?

5 Likes

Based on my limited Bible knowledge and what I have heard preached Adam was the one who God initally gave the direction to (Genesis 2:16-17), is it possible that Adam never shared that crucial information with Eve? Also Adam was there while Eve was eating/being tempted and he never intervened (Genesis 3:6), and throughout the Bible God calls us to be our brother/sister’s keeper countless times so was that his sin? Maybe since he was there too (the one with the message from God) he was also falling for the serpents trick and that was the sin??
I don’t know the answer to your question either, its a question that used to bother me alot as well but these are the answers that have made some sense to me, though they need alot more fleshing out I hope that they can help you out as well.
Grace & Peace to you.

3 Likes

@IrinaPG Great question :slight_smile: The reason the Bible talks about the human race having sinned “in Adam” is not because of any difference between the nature of Adam’s sin and Eve’s sin. Rather, it is because Adam was our covenantal representative before God. In that sense, when Adam fell the covenant was broken.

We see something similar to this in 1 Corinthians, when it says that a believing spouse sanctifies the family. That does not mean they are all saved, but somehow that person’s faith has a sanctifying effect. Interestingly, it can be either the husband or the wife in this case.

1 Corinthians 7:14 - For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

Some people would equate Adam being our covenantal representative with a particular view of male headship in the family/Church. I don’t think that Adam being our covenantal representative settles that discussion, but I do believe that we can see in Scripture that we are all now ‘in’ Christ (in covenant) just as before our salvation we were ‘in’ Adam and destined for wrath.

When Paul says we are saved “in Christ” he means that Christians have a covenantal, federal relationship with Christ. What he did in history is laid to our account. But in the same sentence Paul says that all human beings are similarly (he adds the word “as” for emphasis) “in Adam.” In other words, Adam was a covenantal representative for the whole human race. We are in a covenant relationship with him, so what he did in history is laid to our account.

Women in Ministry

8 Likes