Why create humans?

Why didn’t God just scrap His plan to create man since He knew we would fall?

1 Like

@skypilot Great question :slight_smile: Ultimately, we can trust that God is love because of what He has done for us on the cross and therefore we can trust that His purposes in creating this world are good and wise. Here are some thoughts from Dr. Craig, as well as an article on why God put the tree in the Garden even though it led to their fall. Christ grant you wisdom.

• it may be logically impossible to create a world where all free creatures choose God
  • God wants all to come to be saved - His will is universal salvation and the only reason is not achieved is because people reject God’s love (1 Tim 2:4)
  • worlds where all people would be saved could have serious deficiencies, such as only having 2 or 3 people
  • God is no less loving for preferring a world in which some people are lost

“The tree of knowledge was to lead man to the knowledge of good and evil; and, according to the divine intention, this was to be attained through his not eating of its fruit. This end was to be accomplished, not only by his discerning in the limit imposed by the prohibition the difference between that which accorded with the will of God and that which opposed it, but also by his coming eventually, through obedience to the prohibition, to recognize the fact that all that is opposed to the will of God is an evil to be avoided, and through voluntary resistance to such evil, to the full development of the freedom of choice originally imparted to him into the actual freedom of a deliberate and self-conscious choice of good. By obedience to the divine will he would have attained to a godlike knowledge of good and evil, i.e. to one in accordance with his own likeness to God. He would have detected the evil in the approaching tempter; but instead of yielding to it, he would have resisted it, and thus have made good his own property acquired with consciousness and of his won free-will, and in this way by proper self-determination would gradually have advanced to the possession of the truest liberty.” - Franz Delitch

6 Likes

It is nothing wrong with God, his love is infinite and purity difficulty to express. God is our Creator[ and us his creatures, so is the man who reject God"s love, is the man who do not understand. Isaiah 1: 3 states The ox knows its owner And the donkey its mater’s crib, but Israel does no know , my people do not consider"
Tks for sharing

1 Like

Amazing view on the creation of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. This was one of the things I struggled with and could not produce an answer to anyone (or myself for that matter) who would ask me about it. Now I have this really clear explanation from Franz Delitch that I can share and I thank the Lord for pointing me to this.
Thank you Sean and Mariana!

2 Likes

@bossteb Indeed - Delitch’s explanation really resonated with me when I first read it as well! May the Lord Jesus bless you richly as you continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of Him :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my own understanding, God created humans due to the appeal of Satan mentioned in Ezekiel, he questioned God’s demonstration of love towards the fallen angels which are Gods oen creation. Even before we were born there was already a conflict on the heavenly realms, and pit things in fair justice to Satans appeal “How can a loving God cast down His creation injusticely”. Humans are created not because God is in fight With Satan, just to have a taste of his own arrogance. That He is a perfect God, totally perfect righteous and not a bias one. though God does not need to prove Himself because He is God.

I apologize but I am not sure I understand your point. I believe in sovereign and omniscience Creator who knows all things. I don’t think God needed anyone to appeal to Him.

He was there when (and of course started it) and through Him was all created, so I would say He planned creating humans before He created any heavenly beings. Acts 15: 18 says “Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.” also Ephesians 1:4 “According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love”.

Sorry about that. I guess it isn’t so much a point I was trying to make as it is a facet of God’s love I am wrestling with. It has been very helpful to read everyone’s feedback. I am encouraged when you all draw my attention back to God’s sovereign will. I believe His sovereign will is inextricably bound up with His agape love, so that now gives me two very helpful ways to look at this during times when humanity around me has been brutally ungodly.

All these feedbacks have called me back more to a worship centered relationship with my question. This all is part of the sovereign will of the God of unconditionally unselfish love and justice. It also provides evidence that silences the accuser of the brethren. Not that He needs to justify Himself before His creatures, but we benefit from the deeper revelation of His love that this provides.

Thank you especially for reminding me that God created us to “be holy and without blame before Him in love.” That is powerful encouragement!

Angels were created first brother, and there was a war before then, the angelic war. I guess you knew it already…

Thanks. Some of the most solemn words that impact me are, “and there was war in heaven” . God foreknew all of that and has dealt with it in love, justice, and truth for an unimaginable time. What a God we serve!