Why Did God Choose Israel?

Hello!

I know God loves us equally, but I am curious to know or maybe have an idea about why the people of Israel are His chosen ones. I am currently reading the second book of Samuel (I started at Genesis), so I may need to read more to know more! Could anyone enlighten me? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@OJMCKEE Great question :slight_smile: The short answer is that God chose Israel to be a light to the nations through whom He would redeem a fallen humanity. The big story of the Bible is about God redeeming mankind.

If we read Deuteronomy 7, God makes it clear that He did not choose Israel because of any attribute they possessed, but instead to keep His covenant with Abraham and to make them a light to the nations. In the New Testament, Paul says that God chose the weak things to shame the strong and the foolish things to shame the wise. I think that may give us some idea why He chose Israel :slight_smile:

1 Corinthians 1:26-31 - Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”

Genesis 22:15-18 - The angel of the Lord called to Abraham from heaven a second time 16 and said, “I swear by myself, declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me.

Deuteronomy 7:6-11 - For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession.

7 The Lord did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. 8 But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your ancestors that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. 9 Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments. 10 But

those who hate him he will repay to their face by destruction;
he will not be slow to repay to their face those who hate him.

11 Therefore, take care to follow the commands, decrees and laws I give you today.

2 Likes

The Jews say that God chose Israel because they were the lowest (meaning, on the social scale) of all the peoples around at the time. That’s not a flattering reason, so I don’t see them making that kind of reason up to make themselves feel good. :wink: (And as SeanO points out, it is biblically based.)

Think about it: When God really wants to show how great He is, should He take a 9 out of 10 and make it a 10? Or even a 5 out of 10 and make it a 10? No, he takes the 1 or the 0 and makes it a 10, and pplz be like, “Whoa, wut a mighty God!”

1 Like

@SeanO The oath! I almost forgot! Wow! God never fails to keep His promises!

The chapters of Samuel are also a great example of why God chooses the little ones, like David. I am about to dive into the second chapter of Samuel!

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

@HMA What a great reminder! It all makes sense now! Thank you so much!

Excellent answer @SeanO.

You know, @OJMCKEE - when I was a child, I too wondered why God made Israel His Chosen People. I sort of wondered why He hadn’t made my people the chosen ones. If I became a Jew, would that make me one of His Chosen People too?

Years later, I received Christ as my Savior, and my life was dramatically transformed. And as I kept reading the Bible, just like you are doing, I came across an amazing passage in Ephesians 2:11-19.

It said that we uncircumcised Gentiles were once without Christ, and that made us aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world.

But then it went on to say that in Christ, we foreigners were brought near to God by the blood of Christ - and it goes on to show that Christ eliminates the division between Jews and Gentiles.

But it leads up to a big conclusion in verse 19 - that we are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God!

The moment I became a Christian, I was grafted into the covenants God made with Israel, I became a “naturalized Jew” in the sight of God, I became one of His Chosen People after all!

Every Christian is a child of Abraham, because he’s the father of all them that believe - Romans 4:11.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Is the nation of Israel still God’s chosen people?