Why did God create woman out of man

In Genesis 2 we hear that God creates woman out of Adam.

And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

My question is why create woman out of a rib of Adam? God can create from nothing, or He can create from anything, but it just has always sounded weird. Not that I’m calling anything God does as weird at all, but I am just mystified by the whole story. It must be something to do with man is meant to be with a woman, but is there more in to this than that? Why a rib and not a bit of blood? Why did God need to open Adam up rather than just take it?

Sorry if the question is a rather strange one. Hopefully awaiting some good discussion.

Blessings

Graham

5 Likes

It is interesting that the forming of Eve is often referred as the first surgery in human history.

Genesis 2:21-22 So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.

First, God put Adam to sleep, similar to the use of anaesthesia on a patient about to be operated upon. Next, God took out one of the ribs of Adam and then he closed up the wound. The whole thing is like a modern surgical procedure.

When she was brought to Adam, he said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man" Genesis 2:23.

The universe was created out of nothing. But Adam was made from the dust of the earth and God breathed into his nostrils the breathe of life. God used Adam’s rib to made Eve to show that they are equal and of the same substance. Eve was God’s image just as Adam was. Eve was therefore truly the perfect companion for Adam. She was neither inferior nor superior to Adam but they would complement each other.

I love the popular saying which is often attributed to Matthew Henry. “The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be loved.”

9 Likes

Thank you, I have never really thought about it like an operation before and I like the Matthew Henry quote.

4 Likes

Hi @Graham. That’s a great question. Not that I know the answer, but I just wanted to add one thing. Scientifically speaking, the bone, especially the bone marrow is one of the areas in the body where you get stem cells. Stem cells are undifferentiated cells and are the same as an embryo cells. They can turn into anything. All the other parts of our body other than the few exceptions are fully developed and differentiated that they cant be a start of anything. But the mysteries of God, He will tells us one day, when we meet him.

God Bless You.

5 Likes

For me this was God laying the groundwork for His Son to bring the true spiritual meaning of what on the face of it appeared to be an entirely physical act when He proclaimed :

" For this cause shall a man leave father and mother,
          and shall cleave to his wife, and they twain shall be one flesh."
            ( Matthew 19:5 )

Notice Jesus’s reference to the “flesh” is actually a metaphor for taking what happened with Adam and Eve in the Garden to an entirely spiritual higher level .
Jesus repeatedly unpacked the deeper spiritual meaning of many of the OT’s Physical acts.

2 Likes

Adam got a bride from his bleeding side. He was so happy when Father God brought her to the groom that he broke out in song, (The first wedding song! Yup. It’s a Hebrew Hymn in beautiful poetry.) “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh. She shall be called Woman because she was taken out of man.” (Gen. 2:23) The Bible is an amazing book. A child can learn about love and truth by studying the message. As we mature we can gain greater understanding as we seek to know who God really is and view ourselves in light of His holiness. Consider that Jesus got a bride from his bleeding side as his redemption provided new life in Him at the cross, creating the true church/the bride of Christ.

4 Likes

Thanks, the reference to Jesus on the cross never hit me before. The blood redeeming his church. When Jesus was resurrected he still bore the marks and wounds, but this was His resurrected body - so perhaps these wounds will be healed in the final day when all believers are brought to him and all sins and wrong thinking are thrown away.