Why did Jesus come at the time when he came?

(Maria Olivia Margaris) #1

We are studying the book Romans with our bible study group and while reading this book it came to my mind why did Jesus came at the time of the Romans? Why not today? Just wondering if someone has a biblical idea ?

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

That is precisely the question that Paul wrestled with. Not why did Messiah come at that precise time but why did come early? After all there were many prophecy that had not been fulfilled ( think Isaiah 45-54).

(SeanO) #3

@Maria_Olivia_Margaris If we read Scripture, it is clear that God has ordained all of history that people might come to know Him - He sent His son at the ‘fullness of time’. Some theorize that the Pax Romana, Roman road system and common language all were an ideal situation in which Christianity could spread to the known world, but it is surely oversimplification to say that is the only reason God sent Christ at that time. God chose Israel to be a light to the nations and they failed - so God began a new covenant in Christ. While I do not think we can know exactly why God chose this specific time, I believe we can be certain that God knew the exact moment at which to send His Son.

Galatians 4:4-5 - But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship.

Hebrews 1:1-2 - In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.

Acts 17:26-27 - From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us.

(Tabitha Gallman) #4

@Maria_Olivia_Margaris - I always think about this too. I’ve always thought that maybe one reason he came before so much technology could have been so we don’t worship images of him? But that would be a very unimportant reason compared to the time it takes for someone to repent like David, Jacob or Jonah?

(Roslyn Farmer) #5

In Daniel 9, Gabriel said there would be seven “sevens” and 62 “sevens” from the time of the order to “restore and rebuild Jerusalem” until the Anointed One (the Messiah) comes and is cut off.
Most people take the “sevens” to mean weeks of years. So 7 + 62 = 69 weeks of years. That works out to 69 x 7 = 483 years. Those were years as Daniel would have understood them - so probably lunar years. That would be about 476 solar years. This is a rough estimate because of leap years; the issue of when do you count in lunar and when in solar, etc.
However, the book of Nehemiah records the order to restore and rebuild Jerusalem given by Artaxerxes to Nehemiah - in the month of Nissan in the 20th year of Artaxerxes. That would have been around 445 BC and if you add 476 solar years to that you come in around 32 AD.
Not a bad rough estimate to the time that Jesus would have ridden the donkey into Jerusalem for that final Passover week.