Why did Jesus have to be "God" in the flesh in order to procure our salvation?

These thoughts help tremendously @jlyons! Thank you for taking the time to expound upon these ideas for me!

This is especially helpful, James. It helps me understand why Jesus had to suffer and die as God in the flesh! It amazes me that God would go to such lengths to save me (us)!

Your explanation of the significance of a lamb that was undefiled, is meaningful as well. To think that the One who spoke the universe into existence would hold His tongue and willing submit to death on a cross, to pay for my sin, is humbling. The passage that @juansebravo95 mentioned in his response (1 Peter 1:19) is indeed profound.

“the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot”…amen and amen! Thank you Lord Jesus!

4 Likes

@MaryBeth1, thank you for sharing these passages in particular! These verses are straight-forward in answering the question of whether or not Jesus laid aside His deity to come to earth. He did not. What good news!

2 Likes

Hello Belle,

Great question I think it helps us to anchor our faith in God’s plan more firmly, and it encourages us to trust in the Lord, that Jesus, the God Man is the only way for people to be saved.

As I read your question it seems settled that Jesus is both God and Man, but the question is; does he have to be God and Man, and why does He need to have two natures within the one person Jesus. :thinking:

As I think about your question I go back to Genesis 3 and the fall of people. Paul sums up the results of Adams sin well in Romans 5:12-21. Because of Adam’s desire to determine for himself what is good and evil and the power of the sin nature within all people; if Jesus was just a man he would not be able to save himself little own everybody else. It is only with the power of God that people can rise above the power of sin in people lives. This power is what allowed Jesus to live without sin. Therefore it is only with the power of God that He could be the spotless lamb. I think that we should also remember that Jesus temptations were very real….just like any man. Matthew 4:1-11, but He overcame them by the power of the Word. We are so fortunate that when we turn and follow Christ we also get the same power and resources to overcome our temptations as well.

The next thought that comes to mind is that the punishment for any crime is somewhat dependent upon who the victim of the crime is. If I slap the face of my neighbor I will get one sentence but if I slap the face of the arresting officer, I will get a steeper sentence, and then again if I slap the face of the presiding judge my penalty for the crime will continue to escalate. All of our sins are not only against those we journey through life with but they are also against the most special, sacred, all powerful God of the universe. The one that we owe our very existence to. Thus even our own lives don’t have enough value in them to repay the debt that we owe to this omnipotent being. Therefore something of greater value than a human life, something of the value equal to the one that has been wronged must be part of the justification process in order for the punishment to fit the crime….remembering that our God is completely just in His judgments.

Looks like you have many good thoughts on this subject already, maybe there might be something else here as well to benefit in your discussions.

4 Likes

Indeed @don58.baker, this is very rich and I am blessed by your contribution!

We really do minimize our sin, and how much it cost God to forgive us! Thank you sharing these thoughts!

2 Likes

Profoundly stated. Thank you.

4 Likes

Hi @clark.belle Here is another link from a while back that may help you further. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

2 Likes

This is an interesting and very helpful link, Mary Beth! Thank you!

1 Like

I have been thinking about the response that you gave here, @juansebravo95. I really appreciate what you have brought forward in regard to studying the passage by looking at the original language (Greek), and also reading this portion of Scripture within the context of all that surrounds it. I see how this is crucial in coming to a solid and accurate understanding of the meaning of the text. It really helps me understand how to get to the heart of what the author was/is trying to say to us. Thank you for pointing this out! Super helpful not only with this passage, but with being a good student of the Bible all the way around!

2 Likes