Why did the angels not lose their immortality like we did when we technically rebelled against God?

I had this saddened thought on why Satan and his demons has this unaging power to observe man and deal with man. They are invisible and even capable to influence and inflict catastrophes among us and I wondered why they didn’t have the same punishment as we did like theirs?

But anyways, like with Job I stand in the humility before the Lord knowing how limited I am before His infinite complexity of the reasons why things occur and that we will judge angels in the afterlife but am still curious though hehe.

4 Likes

I would suggest that maybe we weren’t intended to have immortality on this earth, as Genesis 3:22 says "Then the LORD God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—”

If I am understanding correctly this would mean that people were not created to be immortal, but if we had eaten from the tree of life we would have been.

2 Likes

Hi David,

It’s actually a blessing that we don’t have immortality like the rebellious angels. If we were to live forever in these sinful bodies, that would be terrible in comparison to death of our physical body, and gaining a resurrection body like our Savior.

Hope this helps!
Ashton

4 Likes

Well, I would say that we were created to live forever. What we were not created for was sin and death.

As for fallen angels not losing their immortality as we did, I don’t think that’s entirely true. They weren’t created for sin or death any more than we were. But sin got them expelled from the paradise they were meant for just as it did us. And they’re just as destined for the lake of fire someday as humans are. They are essentially spirit beings who will continue somewhere forever just as we are.

The only real difference I can see is that we’re redeemable and they’re not. The only ones who irretrievably lost their immortality was actually them, not us.

I hope this makes sense to you.

9 Likes

Hi David!

It’s a tricky subject because, we too are immortal. It is the body that isn’t. And then in Psalms 82 it says this:

Psalm 82:6-7 ESV
I said, “You are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you; [7] nevertheless, like men you shall die, and fall like any prince.”

It’s really tricky subject. I would suggest to you the work of Dr. Michael Heiser. This is his area of specialty. His website is www.drmsh.com.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi, @jlyons, everything you said was what I was thinking. Another thought I had, too, was that, being a God of purpose, God works everything (that pretty much leaves out nothing, ha) for the purpose of those who love him and are called according to His purposes (Rom. 8:28)…so do you think God’s allowing Satan and his followers to have influence has to do with His good purposes for us? My mentor Bible teacher always pointed out that God often makes us go back the way we came in order to have a chance to make the right choices again. Adam and Eve chose not to trust God and made the wrong choices, so perhaps allowing that influence of Satan and his followers gives us all the chance to make that choice? Just a thought. What do you think? “Yeah, absolutely,” or, “You’re off the mark?” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First off, I want to preface this by saying that I am no expert on this subject, and so I feel highly unqualified in answering, however I have also looked into questions regarding angels and have found some interesting tid bits that may help you. So you may take this with a grain of salt, but I will share.
Here we go! First I think we must look at what the Bible actually tells us about angels. It is worth noting that, although they are important beings in scripture, we know painfully little about them. The little we do know comes from snippets and interactions between angelic beings and human beings.
One thing I believe we can surmise with complete certainty is that angels and humans are different. They are different at their core, they are different in their metaphysical and spiritual presence, and they are different in their role in God’s great creation. In Genesis we do not find out too much about their creation, which is not surprising because I do not believe it has any relevance to us, to our salvation, or to how we worship God or Christ. One thing we do know is that man was created in the image of God. So we know that we have this special bond between us and our Creator. When Satan entered the garden as the serpent, he had already fallen from God’s grace and probably had been banished along with his followers. So we see the angelic fall before the fall of man.
This is where we need to examine what we do know of the differences that are laid out in scripture. One of the best and most direct descriptions comes in Luke 20:35-36 when Jesus is responding to the question of who’s wife will the woman be who has had all seven brothers in marriage.

“but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage, for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.”

Jesus tells us that when we die and enter heaven we will be equal to angels in that we will be immortal, and we will have no need for marriage and therefore procreation. We will also be sons of God. If we look at the implication of that title, we can see that we will be above angels in some way. First Corinthians 6: 3 tells us
“Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more then matters pertaining to this life!”
So we can see that right now as earthly sin-filled beings, we are beneath the angels, but we are set aside as being sons of God, and in our resurrection we shall govern the angels somehow. Hebrews 2:5-8 lays out that Jesus himself was made lower than the angels in order than he fulfill his Father’s will and be crowned with glory and therefore everything is in subjection under his feet.
So the view we get of angels as heavenly hosts in scripture is that they are messengers, they are ministers, and they are warriors.
They also do not marry, or procreate. Which I believe is a huge reason for the banishment of only the offending angels and not the subjugation of ALL the angels at the fall of Lucifer. There is no inheritance of evil from generation to generation of angels. They are individual beings, either angels of God or angels of the devil. And being that they are more metaphysical, if you will, they do not fall under the current dominion of man. They take on human form when they bring messages in scripture, but they are often completely unseen. Our given dominion is in this world. So when Adam and Eve plunged the world into sin, they procreated and passed on a sin nature that became inherent to all of mankind because it was engendered into our very being. The world was under our dominion so it too was ruined by our sin. The angels are outside of that because they are not like us at the very basic level according to what scripture tells us.
I have to admit, even as I finish writing this, we truly do know so very little about them. So most of what I say here is based on what little research I have come across on this subject. I have asked many questions about angels and mankind, and how they interact. But I suppose it is one of those wonderful mysteries that we shall be made fully aware of in our resurrected, new bodies.

Well, there’s no denying that Satan certainly did play the role of…umm, the devil’s advocate! He definitely put their love for God to the test. And it has been said that a love that is untested isn’t real. A man can make all sorts of promises about what he would do for a woman, but until he’s actually confronted with the trial, it’s all really just talk.

And there is also a sense in which the trial itself, and your response to it, actually shapes you for better or worse, depending upon whether your response is better or worse. The soul inside you is changed one way or the other by every temptation you give into, as well as each one you overcome.

So yes, I think you’re right about God using Satan to achieve His good purposes for us. Adam and Eve were going to have to face this test sooner or later. And God knew what the outcome would be - and He already had all His next moves in mind.

3 Likes

@TruthInOurTime,
You are being too modest. That was an excellent description of what is know of angels. Yes, there are some that have looked deeper at angels, but the Bible doesn’t have much about them, so an understanding like you explained is enough for me. We are to love and worship God, not angels. :smile: are they important? Yes, like you and me and the person on your mind who needs Jesus. God is most important and valuable.
Blessings upon your head!
-Bobb
(I could have organized this better. But I’ll leave it as it is)

2 Likes

@rkendall33544 I am so glad it was useful to you. :grin: I think that angels are amazing beings and I do wish we knew more about them because as it appears in scripture, we owe a lot of our safety and success in battle & dangerous situations to them. But like you said, the person of Jesus is enough, and we can be fully satisfied in Him!
Blessings to you, and may God be with us as we learn more and more about Him and all of His wonders!
Michaela

1 Like

Hi, @davidjblazo :wave:

I’m not an expert on this subject but allow me to share my thought.

Strictly speaking only God is eternal, no beginning and ending. The spirit beings are immortal, had a beginning but no ending. And we, humans, will have a taste of immortality once we get our incorruptible flesh in the resurrection. Both the spirit beings and the human beings can be said to be eternal in the sense that God already has each and every one of us in His omniscient mind from eternity past.

Going back to your topic head, I don’t think any of the created immortal beings lost their immortality. We merely lost the position intended for holy immortal beings, Paradise.

2 Likes

Thank you all so much for this! I learned and gained a lot of insights from your researches, thoughts, and opinions. I pray that may God bless you more and that our faith, love, and hope may increase in and through the perfect union of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Follow-up Inquiries
@TruthInOurTime: I would like to ask, if angels were not meant to procreate, how were the Nephilim formed? There were two interpretations of who the sons of God, one is that it is just a different term for humans and another are fallen angels themselves. Were you referring to the first interpretation?

@jlhyons @psalm151l: I also had that conclusion as well that God uses Satan to fulfill his good purposes for us, but does this mean that God created evil as well for our “good” purposes? Sometimes I wonder if our suffering is worth it but sometimes I have this thoughts that God is quite selfish that he created all things for his good pleasure and glory, but like what Paul says in Romans 9:20, “But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?”. And that in Romans 8:18, *“I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” Sorry for the long reflection, for I’d like to ask as well your thoughts about this conclusion.

1 Like

Good Morning @davidjblazo,

The account of the Nephilim is definitely an interesting one. I’ve seen several different options as well. The one thing that I always take into consideration when making determinations about this kind of thing, is the context surrounding where and why something is said in the Bible. The context of the Nephilim is mentioned where we see God’s great wrath boiling to the surface. Right before the flood. There are unnatural occurrences taking place here. Now, one of the points that is made in several different commentaries that I love (the MacArther commentaries and also one by David Guzik) is that “sons of Seth” procreating with other “daughters of men,” in other words believers and unbelievers, would not have made God angry enough to say that he regretted making man and to wipe them all out. (It happens every day now a days) The context suggests something greater and more wicked. My reading has led me to believe that they were fallen angels that either possessed the bodies of men, or who somehow took on a human likeness in order to procreate and, possibly, potentially destroy or corrupt the seed that God intended to bring forth out of the woman( ??speculation!). It is also interesting that the word Nephilim is so close to the Hebrew word naphal which means “to fall.” Just another piece of evidence that leads me to the belief that these were fallen angels not merely unbelieving men, or any old angel for that matter.
So while I said that they do not marry and procreate, I was referring to the angels that Jesus is referring to, those who remained within God’s will and live with Him in Heaven. His angels do not procreate with man, at least there is no mention of that in scripture. But what is mentioned makes sense with fallen angels who corrupted their original intent, and therefore perverted the boundaries between angels and humans, making great wickedness that angered God. So while angels certainly might have the ability to procreate, we see no evidence of them doing so in scripture, aside from what is mentioned here in Genesis 6. And if it contributed to making God angry enough to wipe out all of creation and begin again, I make a conservative judgement that angels are not meant to procreate, at the very least with man.
I hope that helps you see where I am coming from a little bit better. Please feel free to share any extra info you have that I may not have thought of, or where I might be wrong. :upside_down_face: I’m always interested in learning more!
Grace and peace to you,
Michaela

1 Like

Woa! Thank you so much! :smiley: Your explanation made look me look at these passages with a deeper lens. God bless! :smile:

1 Like

@davidjblazo,
No problem, I’m really glad you found this info helpful and insightful. I can’t get enough of learning more about the Word and about our amazing God.
Do you have a study Bible with a commentary? I love mine! It is such a wonderful tool. I also have an app that is a more in-depth commentary as well. If you don’t have one, I think you’d would really love having all the historical and biblical tidbits that just make the text come alive. :smiley:
God Bless you and your studies.
Grace and Peace to you,
Michaela

1 Like

Amen! :smile: I don’t currently have one. Can I ask for some suggestions on which commentary I can start from? I have seen a lot of them internet but there are lot to choose from. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@davidjblazo
I use the MacArther Study Bible. It has pretty rich and informative comments on nearly every verse. He also includes book overviews, historical background and context, an outline for each book, interpretive challenges, and lots of other great info. There’s a bunch of diagrams, charts, and maps, also a pretty expansive concordance as well. The one I have includes a Bible reading plan as well. There’s also some great information on the Holy Trinity, and the concepts of Biblical salvation as well. I don’t know how much they cost because mine was a gift, and I’ve never looked into it before, but it’s so worth it. I also use a commentary app called ENDURING WORD. And that has really in-depth look at most verses as well, plus quotes from great scholars and theologians throughout history. That one is free. So those are two options you can check out. I’m sure there are many other great ones that give good Biblical exegesis, but these are the ones I am familiar with and I recommend. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this. God bless always! :smile:

1 Like