Why didn't Jesus happily died on the cross if he knew that this act of his would save us?

why didn’t Jesus happily died on the cross if he knew that this act of his would save us? in Matthew, Mark, Luke, Jesus was willing (submitting) but he was not really offering himself . The book of John was revised to make Jesus actually offering himself. Did i miss something?

1 Like

Hello Tsapise,

Each of the Gospels show us a different perspective of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. So, while there are differences in how this is presented and what is covered, they all do provide an overview of His ministry and sacrifice to pay for the sins of all people.

I do not honestly know how Jesus could have been happy about doing this. If we think of the fact that He had full knowledge of what He was about to go through, even though it meant us being granted salvation from our sins, I would expect that there is no one who would not dread such a horrible thing coming upon them. We tend to think that He only experienced physical pain and then died, but the cross was much more than that. Jesus was about to pay for the sins of all people from the past, present, and future. This meant that He had to take the cup of God’s wrath that is meant for us. He had to bear upon Himself the payment for all sins, which is death and the justice of of a holy and wrathful God. In Isaiah 53: 11-12 we are told, “
Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied;
by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant,
make many to be accounted righteous,
and he shall bear their iniquities.
Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many
and he shall divide the spoil with the strong,
because he poured out his soul to death
and was numbered with the transgressors;
yet he bore the sin of many,
and makes intercession for the transgressors.”

Christ bore more than just physical torment on the cross. He bore the sins of all people. God’s holy and perfect wrath against sin was poured out upon Him in full. God’s justice was completely satisfied against sin, upon Jesus. In Luke 23: 44 we are told there was a three hour period of darkness upon the earth. I believe that it was during this time that payment was made for all of sin. We can never, and should hope to never, know what that was like, but it is because that payment was made, that we are able to be saved. But, in light of that, it is hard to imagine Him being happy to have to do it.

Yet, despite how horrific an experience this was, He offered Himself freely to pay for our sins and save us. John is offering another perspective on this sacrifice that was made for us, as all the Gospel authors do. You did not miss anything, this is merely a different authors perspective as inspired through God. I hope that this helps and that God will guide you the truth as only He truly can. If you have any other questions please ask them. God bless you and thank you.

Matthew

2 Likes

Hebrews 12:2 says that Jesus, for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross.

I think we all understand that concept. A woman in childbirth, for the joy of motherhood that is set before her, endures the labor.

A husband will endure many unpleasant tasks for the joy of providing for his family - a soldier will endure horrific struggles for the joy of victory or of returning home in one piece.

You really cannot separate the concepts of sacrifice and love. To the degree that you’re willing to sacrifice, you truly love. If Jesus had been all smiles and chuckles on the cross, He would not have been communicating the ultimate love to us.

There is a time to weep and a time to laugh. Jesus knew better than anyone which time it was on the cross.

I hope this helps you balance the issue in your own mind.

1 Like

I would say, from a more personal understanding and not so much theological point of view. So anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
But as I understand Jesus was fully man yet also fully God and through out scripture of the gospels we see that Jesus spoke of him getting hungry and thirsty but then also reffered to Him also as being the bread and the water to drink and eat off. So when you would say he was willing. I would think of the same way Paul and all the other disciples was willing to die for God for the sake of the gospel. I would think Jesus was willing to die as man for the salvation of all the people but like any man or woman, we are all subjected to fear and unsurnes of the circumstances so I would think that Jesus would have gotten very scared while willing still, he did ask Father if its your will please take this cup from me.
When in John, Jesus offers himself for the cross it was God himself who became flesh to come and die for our sins so that we all can be saved. So God offered himself as sacrifise through his son in flesh so that we all who believe can be safe.
Liie I said from a personal point of view and don’t have much references of where in the bible it is said what was said but know its in there. So please feel free to correct me also so that we can both be on the right track with was asked and to understand.
Regards

2 Likes

You are right, @FPPieterse - to be willing to do something unpleasant is a far greater display of love than to do something you enjoy. That was the idea I was trying to convey, but I think your wording is much better - thank you for pitching in!

Hey @Tsapise, good question and all the above answers are great. As @mmingus36 mentioned, outside the physical suffering he went through, taking the spot to take all sins of the world from the past, present and future is something we can never understand. We dont even know what it means to die, what he had to do in the spiritual realm. But check out “The Passion of Christ “ movie too. Every time I watch it I wonder how there have not been 10000 more floods like Noah for how evil we are but God is so loving and patient with us.

God Bless.