Why do Christians still sin?

Hi Sean.

Personally, I fall pretty squarely with 1 and 3, with the exception that God is still perfectly just in His judgement even though some people will end up in eternal torment.

One reason is because, as I read Dr. Zacharias argument for hell I read it like this: if a man or women would choose to be away from God in this life, then He would know that and is not going to force them to be with Him in the next. But I am pretty sure Dr Zacharias believes in Annihilation like yourself. That is why that “would” word is so important to me personally.

@DeanW,

Some great thoughts there. The problem is that Adam clearly had a choice on what spiritual tree to eat from just as Esau had the choice to wait a bit longer to get some food instead of selling his birthright for a bowl of soup.

As you can see, I put myself squarely in the predestination camp and the free will camp. It’s a problem to reconcile the two, but I believe there is a biblical grounding for both perspectives. The problem is that the words “free will” and “determinism” are not in the Bible at all. So perhaps the problem is really a non-sequitir in the first place.

1 Like

@Jesse_Means_God_Exists. Just chiming in. Being in this world requires the daily exercise of submitting to the will of GOD. If every day the mercies of GOD are new, then the need for mercy is always present.

When I accept that all our righteousness is as a filthy rag, then the whys of walking in fellowship with the Lord are clear. I often say when I rise in the morning, Stupid will stand along with me. Saying; “hey cuz it’s a new day!” It is why I must watch and pray. It is why I must let the mind be in me that is in CHRIST JESUS. My commitment to GOD must be chosen daily.

Because I don’t consider being human and fallible the same as deliberately doing wrong; I know in accordance with some of the previously stated verses, sin approaches me daily. We call that being drawn away by our own lust. It is always presented, but I don’t have to choose that way. That’s the dependability of GOD’s grace and His presence in my life. That’s the exercise of my free will.

But I understand why the Apostle Paul lamented; “who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” Deliberate wrongdoing/sin, we have been granted authority over. But of error, we have not. If my best efforts can never get the job done, how foolish it is to indulge in deliberate wrongdoing? What professional gambler in their right mind would bet on such odds.

The purpose and need for GOD’s grace testify that His love will not let me go. Despite being human in a fallen world. But if I chose to walk away, that is death. In Ezekiel 18 the Lord says; “But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die”

When I continue to embrace my sins after I have been given grace it is similar to what happened in Isaiah 28:13. “But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.”

To continue in sin after I have found the Lord is like the foolishness; “As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.” Proverbs 26:11.

1 Like

Hi Jesse, i also believe in both “determinism” and in “free will”. The way i sometimes reconcile the two terms is this: within limits, God grants us the ability to choose His leading / guiding / inspiration to do right, or to ignore it and do our own “separate” will, contrary to what is best.

Yet, He also knows all of our choices in advance (since He is “all-knowing”), and so in a sense He has predetermined everything that happens. That makes Him ultimately responsible for sin, doesn’t it, which doesn’t sound right.

But God accepted full responsibility for all sin, for all men, on the Cross of Christ, and draws us, but does not force us, to receive the reconciliation to Himself that He has provided.

So we have “freedom of choice” in the end, though He knew before He created anyone exactly what each of us would do. And we can never blame Him for not saving us, or for forcing us to sin – He just made sinning available, along with His guidance and care, His salvation/ justification / sanctification.

So what value does sin have? How would we know what it is like to live apart from God if we couldn’t do that? How could we know the grace and forgiveness and mercy of God unless we were for a while far from them? How could we know the patience and persistence of God if we never needed them?

So, in the end, sinners will have to admit that He has been very fair to them, and that He gave them their “free choice” to rebel against Him. And at the same time, the “saved” can gratefully love Him with the perfect love which He has for us as we receive Him into ourselves, through His freely given unending Life.

He is so amazingly wonderful, isn’t He!?!?!

1 Like