Why do people fast?

why do people fast in Prayer Homes?

3 Likes

Hi, @Tsapise! I am unfamiliar with “Prayer Homes.” Are those just homes that families open up to fellow believers so they can come and focus on praying together? Fasting is typically done so that people can focus more on God. In the Bible, fasting was done when mourning a tragedy, recognizing and acknowledging one’s sin before God, or seeking something specific from God like deliverance. In Matthew 6:16, Jesus talks about fasting. Notably, he assumes the practice of fasting in the believer’s life with the words “When you fast” as opposed to “If you fast…,” meaning it ought to be one of the spiritual disciplines, along with prayer and reading our Bibles that we use to focus our attention on God. It reminds us of our dependence on Him and the central place He should take in our lives. Everything we are and do should be in such a state of surrender to Him that all in our lives revolve around that. If we aren’t intentional in paying attention to that in our lives, we tend to push Him off into the margins of our lives without even realizing it. We fast to remember that “…man shall not live by bread alone, but on every word that comes out of the mouth of God…” (Deuteronomy 8:3, Matthew 4:4).

Let me know if this helps and if you have further questions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am also unfamiliar with “Prayer Homes.” But, as far as fasting goes, to me it is all about subjecting the appetites of the flesh to the will and the spirit. It is about keeping priorities in their proper order. Would love to hear other’s thoughts as well.

3 Likes

Hi @Tsapise and thanks for your question. I also am unfamiliar with Prayer Homes, but will make a short comment on a scripture I have always loved in thinking about fasting.

Isaiah 58:6:
“Is not this the fast that I choose:
to loose the bonds of wickedness,
to undo the straps of the yoke,
to let the oppressed go free,
and to break every yoke?

As Lindsay has already mentioned, fasting can be about seeking God for something specific like deliverance. To me, the above passage speaks of God looking at sin/ wickedness or bondage in life as a yoke upon our backs that binds us and burdens us. Something that keeps us from freedom. The passage in Isaiah speaks of fasting as a place where God deals with sins that have entrapped us in the metaphor of the yoke upon an animals back. God loosens the bonds, undoes the straps, sets us free, and then breaks that which was keeping us oppressed and enslaved.

I would read Isaiah 58 in its entirety as it is a wonderful passage of scripture :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes