Support RZIM Connect

Why do we pray to God the Father?

Why does it seem as if we pray to God the Father, not Son or Holy Spirit?
I have heard people invite the Holy Spirit in before beginning prayer or ask the Holy Spirit to place certain things upon their mind so they could pray about it better.
When Jesus was on earth, He modeled prayer as praying to the Father (Matthew 6:9).
It kinda seems like God the Father has more power than other members of the trinity.

2 Likes

@Sgpage Great question :slight_smile: If we look at the Lord’s prayer, we see that Jesus Himself taught us to pray to “Our Father who art in Heaven…” If we dive a bit deeper into Scripture and examine both what Jesus said about Himself and how the apostle Paul prayed, we notice several things:

• the Son is worthy of the same honor as the Father
  • many of Paul’s prayers celebrate the beautiful relationship within the Trinity - Paul often prays to the Father, giving thanks and praise for the Son, who is our hope, and acknowledging the work of the Spirit in transforming our hearts
  • Paul addresses God the Father, God and Jesus together, and Jesus alone, making no distinction - he recognizes that both Jesus and the Father have power to hear and answer our prayers

Does that help clarify things a bit? On this particular question I find diving into Paul’s prayers and reflecting on them to be very instructive.

John 5:19-23 - Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed. 21 For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it. 22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

Ephesians 1:15 - For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

2 Thessalonians 2:16 -17 - May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

1 Timothy 1:12 - I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service.

2 Cor 13:14 - May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

3 Likes