Why Does God Not Answer Prayers of Those Seeking Evidence For His Existence?

Mr. Raju,

Thanks for coming! I appreciate your perspective as an Easterner. I find Eastern philosophy and methodology to be quite fascinating, and I’m glad to see you bringing your unique perspective.

My question is this: How do we work with ‘de-converted’ Christians. There are some deconverted Christians who would even claim that they prayed to God, asking Him to provide them evidence, yet He failed to produce it, so they became atheists. Assuming they did ask Him, how are we to interpret this? Did God choose not to answer their prayer?

4 Likes

Thanks Kyle for writing in with your question.

Although I grew up in the East, I am not well versed with eastern philosophies. My training is mostly in Western philosophy.

Why does God not answer the prayers of those seeking evidence for His existence? A lot can be said in answer to this question, but let me keep my response brief.

Some have argued that if God exists then He would have given us clear evidence of His existence, and they assert that there is no good evidence for God’s existence. Interestingly the Bible teaches that man’s problem not the absence of evidence but the suppression of it.

Paul writes about this very thing in Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him.

God has given us enough evidence of His existence. There are many arguments that have been put forward by eminent philosophers in this regard. In fact, there is a whole branch of theology called Natural Theology that provides arguments for the existence of God from observed natural facts. I shall not take much time to go into these here, but if you are interested Charles Taliaferro, J.P Moreland, Stewart Goetz, and William Lane Craig have written a lot on this subject.

Apart from the many arguments for God’s existence such as the Kalam cosmological, moral, teleological, fine-tuning etc. arguments, the most compelling argument for God’s existence and His goodness is the incarnation, the atonement and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The resurrection of Jesus speaks to the veracity of the truth of Christian theism. Christianity falls flat if Christ did not actually rise from the dead. Paul, in his letter to the Corinthians, (1 Cor. 15:14) writes, “And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain.” N.T Wright, Garry Habermas, William Lane Craig and many others have written extensively on the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus.

Another point worth considering is how much evidence is enough. One could always ask for more. Sometimes we think that if only God had made Himself more obvious then more people would respond. Think of the Jewish leaders in Jesus’ day. They were given firsthand accounts by Roman soldiers present at the scene when the stone was moved and Jesus’ body was not found in the grave. Rather than investigating the soldiers’ report, they paid them to spread false information. Matthew records this in chapter 28.

11 While the women were on their way, some of the guards went into the city and reported to the chief priests everything that had happened. 12 When the chief priests had met with the elders and devised a plan, they gave the soldiers a large sum of money, 13 telling them, “You are to say, ‘His disciples came during the night and stole him away while we were asleep.’ 14 If this report gets to the governor, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble.” 15 So the soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has been widely circulated among the Jews to this very day.

God being omniscient knows that it is not lack of evidence that prevents people from turning to Him; even if more evidence were given people still won’t believe.

4 Likes