Why does Jesus need to intercede on our behalf?

(David Cieszynski) #1

Hi everyone,

I’ve had this question rattling around my head for a few weeks now, ‘why does Jesus need to intercede on behalf when he is part of the Trinity?’

(SeanO) #2

@David_Cieszynski Good question. I’m interested to hear other responses.

I have always thought it interesting that Jesus is Prophet, Priest, King and Sacrifice.

Hebrews 10:12 - But our High Priest offered himself to God as a single sacrifice for sins, good for all time. Then he sat down in the place of honor at God’s right hand.

Jesus literally offers Himself to God the Father. And I think this begins to get to the heart of your question.

The Father has chosen to honor the Son with all of these roles - see below quote from John.

John 5:22-23 - Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

And, in the end, the Son will hand the Kingdom back to the Father.

I Corinthians 15:28 - When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

God the Father does not need our prayers - He already knows what we need. In the same way, He does not need the Son’s prayers. But He honors our prayers and is delighted when we pray. The Father honors the Son as He intercedes as High Priest as well. And one day, God will be “all in all”. I don’t fully understand what that means, but I think that is a Biblical approach to answering the question.

(Dave Kenny) #3

@David_Cieszynski Hi David. I am interested in some of the angles of your question. Could you expand a bit? How does the Trinity part of your question factor in? Are you asking More about the inner workings of the trinity or the inner workings of the atonement? Or perhaps you’re asking about the nature of ‘necessity’ in regards to God (IE: does Jesus really NEED to do anything?)

I was reflecting on this passage last night in our family devotionals:

_“2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, “Who is worthy to open the book and to break its seals?” 3 And no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the book or to look into it. 4 Then I began to weep greatly because no one was found worthy to open the book or to look into it…” (Rev. 5:2-4)

There appears to be some things that no created being can do… yet… these things still need doing!

5 and one of the elders *said to me, “Stop weeping; behold, the Lion that is from the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has overcome so as to open the book and its seven seals.”

overcome what?

6 And I saw between the throne (with the four living creatures) and the elders a Lamb standing, as if slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God, sent out into all the earth. 7 And He came and took the book out of the right hand of Him who sat on the throne. 8 When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9 And they *sang a new song, saying,

“Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.

10 “You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth.”

As I reflect on these verses, and bring alongside the book of Hebrews, I see a tremendous mystery unfolding (only in part) that appears to suggest that only once Jesus had offered himself as a human sacrifice during his earthly life did he in fact become worthy as the Revelation passage suggests (And Hebrews).

How typical of God to do what only He can do! You know the old saying… if you want a job done right…

I’m looking forward to your expanded thoughts.

Dave

(David Cieszynski) #4

@Dave_Kenny @Sean_Oesch

Thank you for your responses the verse in particular which triggered the question is Romans Ch8 v34 Who is to condemn? It is Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us.

It comes across as you see in a movie the second in command is trying to persuade their leader to be lenient but God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are 3 persons in 1 being (think that’s the correct terminology). So why does Jesus have to intercede

Like I said it’s one of many random questions rattling around my head.

Thanks for reading this post.

(SeanO) #5

@David_Cieszynski I’ve always liked this formulation of the Trinity - “God is one in essence, but three in Person.”

So when we say “God” is one it is not the same as saying “Bob” is one. When we say Bob is one - Bob is human - so we know what that means - he only has one seat of consciousness - one person.

But when we say “God” is one - God is not human. So when we say He is one it does not necessarily mean that He has only one seat of consciousness - one person. God is a Trinity - a multiplicity of Persons.

Bob’s essence is a singular person. God’s essence is a multiplicity of Persons.

Once that fact is established (while not necessarily fully understood), all that is left to say is that each Person of the one God has a distinct role. Jesus is fulfilling His role as one Person of the Godhead in interceding on behalf of humanity.

This separation between essence and Persons even allows for varying degrees of authority within the Godhead or that while Jesus was on earth in His humanity there was a varying degree of authority. The following article gets into some of the actual terminology:

Hope that is helpful

(David Cieszynski) #6

@Sean_Oesch thanks for the article, it definitely clears things up.