Why does we, christians pray before eating meal?

Why does we, christians pray before eating meal? God is past, present and future. He knows everything and yet done it. Like why couldn’t get rid of Satan? Btw I’m looking to buy handy bible that I can read in like train and in school etc… I do have NIV bible but It’s too big not just that I found out that there are missing verses… any recommendations? Thanks!!

2 Likes

Hello @maripgyunglum Thank you for your questions.

As Christians, praying before a meal is an acknowledgement that God has provided for our needs. We give Him thanks for His provision, knowing without His hand we would have nothing.

The eyes of all look to You, and you give them their food at the proper time. You open Your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. The LORD is righteous in all His ways, and loving toward all He has made. Psalm 145.15

As Jon Bloom says in the link below, “Every meal is a miracle.” When we consider the start, number of steps in the process and the finished product of what we put in our mouth, we realize it is a kindness and gift from God, a sacrament of sorts, a sign of divine grace that we get to partake in. From the seed to the sower / farmer, dirt, rain, sun, growth, harvest, and delivery, every step shows the love of God.

I understand your question. I would suggest that in some ways, He has already gotten rid of Satan and we are yet to see the full impact of that victory. Jesus’ death on the cross, the burial, and the resurrection are the evidence of what He has done and what is to come.

The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 1 John 3.8

And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. Revelation 12.11

We know that God is good and He uses everything for His purpose. The reality that satan is still here points to a greater reality, that God is sovereign and is using evil for His purposes. When we see the devil at war in the Bible, he is never fighting directly against God. Jude 9 and Revelation 12.7-12 show us he fought / will fight against the Archangel Michael. The devil is no match for this angel and he is certainly no match for God Almighty.

The links below may help you decide what you need. In the first link, @Jennifer_Wilkinson’s post in particular.

Could I ask you for more detail about this? Is this what your church or a friend has said?

Here are some verses in the Bible that address that.

1. We are specifically told not to add to, or take away from, the Word of God. Deuteronomy
    4.2, 12.32, and Revelation 22.18. Engaging in either practice comes with severe consequences.

2. Every word of God is flawless. Psalm 12.6, 18.30, Proverbs 30.1-6

3. The Bible was written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1.20-21, 2 Timothy 3.16

4. He has spoken His words through God the Son. Hebrews 1.2

5. We must continue to walk in and practice the truth that God has already revealed to us. Hebrews 2.1-3

Thank you again for your post. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

2 Likes

Yes, I made this discovery by myself. No, my friend doesn’t ask this question. I asked because I’m wanted to buy bible. My church told me that you have to be careful when buying bible. They say nothing about NIV missing verses. It all started after I read this blog.
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-people-say-the-NIV-is-a-horrible-translation-of-the-Bible
Now, I have NIV bible in my house so, I checked out and found out that Act 8:37 was missing and many other more…
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 11.46.53 AM

Good questions, @maripgyunglum.

Christians thank God for their meals because I Timothy 4:3-5 says that God has created meats (food) to be received with thanksgiving…for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. Also, Jesus blessed food before serving and eating it (Matthew 14:19; Matthew 26:26; Mark 8:6-7; Luke 24:30), setting an example for us.

Why God couldn’t get rid of Satan? Actually, He did. Satan sinned in heaven, in God’s domain, and God got rid of him. Satan then came into this world, the domain God gave to mankind, and when he introduced sin into this world, our ancestors did not get rid of him from our domain. We’re now living with the consequences - but the consequences have been greatly mitigated by a merciful God Who has also provided for our redemption and promised to restore our world.

I hope this will help you.

2 Likes

Hi Mari!

Great questions… this is actually different topics, but I’m going to leave a couple of short answers - more thought provoking, maybe. :slight_smile:

Back in the day, my Uncle (who was a very Godly man) used to say before the meal, “Let’s return thanks.” I’m from the southern US and I think you would hear that more here than in other places possibly. That said, it’s simply a practice of thanking God for his provision just as Jesus did before feeding the 5000. Matthew 14:19 ESV Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass, and taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven and said a blessing. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds.

Because of his Mercy. We all deserve to die according to our sins - yet we live. Not only that, but he offered up His only Son as a sacrificial atonement for our sin! God’s love, grace, and mercy is the reason we all exist.

Take a look at this one. The condensed edition is smaller and can help to illuminate the Word.
https://reformationstudybible.com/

Blessings!

2 Likes

First I’d like to say that I truly believe God’s Word is in the Bible, no other book. It is undeniable that there are translation differences, at what point are we to settle? I think that’s very much of personal pursue, I started reading the NIV, which I now mainly read to reference differences, I remember looking at different English translations, but the one translation I hold as my primary is the Geneva Bible, reason why is because of its history, I haven’t settled for a particular version though, I currently read the 1560 version. I also read the KJV, perhaps more often than the Geneva (because the actual printing is hard to read), but I tend to rely more on the Geneva text. I’d say to you, pray that the Lord will lead you into all truth, it’s not an easy path, but it is the path that leads to life.

And to perhaps answer your question about praying before meals. Well, there’s a foundational truth that has taught me a lot, and that is that God created everything, therefore He owns everything, which means He has authority over everything; this truth places us in one of these two positions, based on our affinity/knowledge/disposition/willingness, and that is: we will identify ourselves as thankful children of the most High God, or as lying thieves waiting for judgment. It’s sort of black and white, but we can’t really say we never knew, or that it wasn’t clear enough, man just won’t have a excuse.

The good news is that the Lord Jesus is the door to escape the wrath of God, and that to me, is the most wonderful news I hold dear within me! God bless you.