Why Don’t All Paths Lead to Heaven?

(Robert Repke) #1

As our society becomes increasingly pluralistic, it gets harder to claim that there is just one “right” way to believe. More and more, Christianity is seen as not only naïve but actually hateful for not affirming the truth claims of other religions. This week, Vince and Jo field questions such as:

Does the culture we’re raised in determines our beliefs?
What we are to make of religions that predate Christianity?
Does Jesus or Mohammed brings salvation?

https://www.rzim.org/listen/ask-away/why-dont-all-paths-lead-to-heaven

(Ryan C Melcher) #2

Thanks for the post! I am looking at the title question “Why don’t all paths lead to heaven?” I think we would all like this to be true at face value. In that, most likely, we all know someone dear to us who believes something different than we do. In addition, Jesus claimed an exclusive path to heaven. “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’” - John 14:6

Christianity is not alone. Islam would also claim exclusivity. So would many other religions. What about someone who says they accept all religions as true? In that case, to be consistent, they would have to exclude the exclusives religions because they do not conform with that individual’s view. By accepting everything they logically contradict most faiths and their own view point. In that case they actually reject everything. They just may not realize it.

What should we as followers of Christ do? Dialog with love and reason. Give good evidence to the truth that Jesus claimed with a cheerful and winsome spirit.

Cheers and blessings,

Ryan

(Kenny) #3

Thanks for sharing @Robert_Repke.

I think I came across one of Ravi Zacharias’ videos where he shared quite heavily on it. Similar to what @RyanMelcher shared that many religions claim exclusivity actually.

The interesting thought that Ravi Zacharias pointed out was that truth by nature is exclusive in nature. By claiming something to be truth, you are indirectly declaring that anything else is false.

Therefore if the path to heaven through Christ is declared as truth, it only stands to reason that anything apart from this will naturally be false.