Why dream about pagan (hindu) deities?

Dear all, This questions is regarding having dreams of pagan/ Hindu deities.

I will keep this post as short as possible. I was raised as a Hindu and became a Christian. I used to be a follower of sai baba of Shirdi. I realized after becoming the follower Christ, many Hindu prophets try to rip off Christ’s name and claim themselves to be like Jesus. In the beginning, I used to get dreams about Hindu deities quite often. It was pretty intense when my dad visited me a few years ago in Holland (my dad is not a believer). But it stopped for quite some time. The dreams happens a lot during winter times.

My dad will be visiting me for my Ph.D. defense. Just now I had a dream, and I was in a sai baba Hindu temple. It is common among their devotees that he is a prophet of both Hindus and Muslims.

My question is why am I having such dreams? Is it something to do with my dad going to visit me? Are my dad and Hindu friends praying to Hindu deities and I am having such dreams. Are these dreams manipulated by Satan in my mind or merely just because of my own fearful thoughts? Or are these dream are a message of God trying to tell me something.

I would rather dream about our Lord Jesus Christ. Please, need your discernment and prayers.

Blessings
Yuven

2 Likes

@Yuven204, I am sorry to hear about the disturbing dreams you are having just before your Ph.D defense. I pray for the peace of God to flood your soul. May the promises of God bring you comfort during this stressful time of school. He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty (Ps 91:1). The Lord has already triumphed and has dominion over everything in heaven and on earth.

Appreciate your candid sharing of your dreams. Its interesting that you say the frequency of those dreams increased when you had your family visiting you. I have had one instance of a very disturbing dream (which seemed at that time like a real encounter) with hindu deities that my family is into. It happened at a time when I had just revealed to my family about my Christian faith and they were intensely praying for me to give up my new-found faith. However I think it could have happened because I had some known areas in my life yet to surrender unto Christ. I also know of a Christian pastor who shared with me of having encountered Hindu deities in spirit-form the night before the day he shared the gospel to a Brahmin family successfully unto salvation. Certainly we can experience oppression from contrary spirits to stifle us from our kingdom purposes or due to unyielded areas of our life/unforgiveness etc. I am not saying that is the case in your situation but it may be good idea to ask the Lord to reveal anything that still needs to be turned over to Him or to let go, such as sacred paraphernalia. I have found Rev 12:11 very helpful whenever I have felt spiritually oppressed.

Another possibility to consider, since you say it happens more in the winter months is ‘Seasonal affective disorder’ a common condition. Its possible that with increased stress towards the end of Ph.D, the symptoms are being magnified and underlying concerns are surfacing in the form of dreams. Perhaps spending plenty of time in the sun will resolve it!

I will be praying for you. May those burdens be lifted up to Jesus. Let’s not carry what He has already carried for us. May the Lord continually fill you with His Holy Spirit for victory in every battle that you might be up against. God bless your studies! I am keen to hear of your story of coming to the knowledge of Christ some time, after your defense though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks so much Lakshmi for sharing with Yuvendran,
I have have had issues with dreams but in a different context so I was looking forward to a member of the family to share their insights that might relate to this case.
Indeed our Lord Jesus has overcome and He is above every other power or deity.

These scriptures have also helped me in prayer when I had dreams which have no business with my new identity in Christ

" Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father"
Philippians 2:9‭-‬11 NLT
“Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand”
Isaiah 41:10 NLT

3 Likes

@Lakshmismehta thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and encouragement! I was really wondering whether it’s oppression from the adversary. I asked about the spiritual attack to Dr. Hugh Ross. He said it’s possible that you can experience it whenever a new soul is going to be saved through you. I believe so. I prayed for more courage to share the Gospels with my Hindu friends and also reveal the areas of my life that yet to be surrendered to Christ.

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) could be a possible reason. Even the abbreviation reveals it. It’s a real blessing to live in Holland, but the sun doesn’t always shine very bright here. The doctors always advise people to take vitamin D during winter season.

Thank you for the prayers. Sure, I will share my testimony with you, once I finished with my Ph.D.

2 Likes

@Nancesah, thank you for the message. Our Lord, the creator of the heavens and earth, is stronger and mightier than any!

2 Likes