Why faith?

Hello everyone. I have a question and am unable to find a proper source for an answer, so looked up to Connect for some help.

In the Bible it says salvation is by faith, the just shall live by faith, the new covenant is through faith, without faith it is impossible to please Him.

Why do you think has God chosen ‘faith’ out of everything to be the means of salvation?
Does the Bible say anything about this?

Any help and insight is appreciated. Thanks.

3 Likes

I am sure there are people here who will have a lot of great things to say on this topic. I would just offer that faith is belief and trust. The fall came through Adam and Eve demonstrating distrust and disbelief. It would make sense that if a lack of faith is the way in which a relationship with God was lost, that faith would be the way in which that relationship was restored.

3 Likes

Hi @Theja! Great to hear from you again! What a thought-provoking question!

I agree with @Joshua_Hansen 's description of faith as being broken down into belief and trust. If I look at my own personal relationships, the thing that intimacy depends on most is trust. If I then apply this to God’s desire for intimacy with us, it would follow that He wants us to trust Him. Without trust, I believe intimacy would be impossible. Salvation means an eternity of intimate relationship with our Saviour so, to me, it makes sense that my salvation is based on faith.

These are just my musings. I look forward to hearing what others have to say. Thanks for raising this question!

2 Likes

@Theja Great question and terrific insights from @Joshua_Hansen and @tpauls8. I think that Hebrews 11 is a terrific chapter on faith and it provides us with two very clear reasons why God requires faith.

1. Faith has confidence in God’s existence as Creator and Sustainer of all things
  2. Faith has confidence that God is trustworthy, kind and good

I’m sure you have noticed that most of the attacks on God are either against His existence or His character. And there is a natural reason, because if we believe that God is the Creator and that He loves us, we will worship, thank and seek Him above all else. Sin is, ultimately, always rooted in unbelief (in Hebrews 3, unbelief and disobedience are equated).

Christ give you faith as you seek His face :slight_smile:

Hebrews 11:1-6 - Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.

3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

4 By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead.

5 By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death: “He could not be found, because God had taken him away.” For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Hebrews 3:18-19 - And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

3 Likes