Why interpolations of several Bible verses in the Bible?

Dear Sir,

I learn that there are many interpolations of several Bible verses in the Bible. Even Bishop Irenaeus and other early church fathers interpolated the version of Luke 23:34 which says " Father forgives them,for they do not know what they are doing."

Here,I have two questions:

1. If God is a sovereign God, why does He allowed interpolations of several Bible verses in the Bible?

2.Can I trust Bishop Irenaeus 100.00 percent to be a reliable church historian or a church father?

I’m just asking out of curiosity.

Please Help!

Thank you.

John, I to have heard this from others when I was a catholic. I was told that our father’s of old would interpolated. Look at the catholic’s version of the Lord’s Prayer. I was show how it was added to. I believe three times.

All that said, I believe that our Lord is all powerful and God is in control.

I do look forward to hearing from wiser and wonderful people chiming in.

1 Like

Hi,
In reference to Luke 23:34 there is a previous discussion here that may be of interest?

I suppose to flip your question 2 on it’s head; what evidence is available that Irenaeus is not trustworthy? He was ordained by Polycarp, who was a disciple of John the Apostle.

These might be of interest…

https://www.bibleodyssey.org/en/tools/timeline-gallery/h/history-of-the-text-of-the-new-testament

https://www.bibleodyssey.org/tools/timeline-gallery/h/history-of-the-english-bible

http://textusreceptusbibles.com also has some really interesting analysis tools to take a look at to compare manuscripts and translations.

A question to think about: Does the Pope have the authority to make a change to the Lords prayer? I can understand the reason to change from ‘lead us not into temptation’ to ‘do not let us fall into temptation’ from a theological standpoint. Interesting to read the concern was in the French translation of the prayer…

hope that helps a little to start with, and looking forward to others with more specific information… :slight_smile:

Hi John.

The best resources on how God’s sovereignty works is not our imagination or our explanations, nor mere doctrinal surmising. You can’t extrapolate the wisdom of God as if He were a formula. The limitations which man’s logic places on sovereignty is not the entire story of God’s sovereignty. The best way to get a grip on this is by reading the stories of the bible and recognizing (seeing it here a little and there a little) how God accomplishes his purposes.

In my opinion, answers to questions like these are not found by asking men out of curiosity. These are matters of earnestness which you must share with God. Hopefully I can point you in that direction:

You know your situation best so it is truly your job to discern what’s actually happening. But God in his wisdom knew you’d have trouble discerning things so he gave you his word so you can test things against scripture. (He also gives the holy spirit to help (Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered Romans 8:26)

There is no solid way to consider these things without actually comparing it with scripture:

The word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Heb 4:12)

More on the topic of requiring wisdom and discernment should be your attention to James 1: if any man lack wisdom let him ask of God…

One thought might be to keep in mind what Jesus said about the interpolators of his day:

Beware of the scribes… which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms at feasts; Which devour widows’ houses, and for a shew make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation.(Luke 20:46-47)

It wouldn’t truly serve you for me (or anyone else) to be the one to answer your questions in a specific way (Even if I knew the specific answers to your questions). You must search the scriptures for yourself, ask for wisdom and follow accordingly. For if you straight out believed what I said then I would have become your catalyst for truth (which ultimately, no man can be).

Thank you so much Sir.

1 Like

Thank you sir.