Why is Christianity in decline, where is our brotherly love?

daily_evangelism

(George Kyriacou) #1

In Dubai 80% of the people there are non Emirates. Most of the ex pats are from India and Pakistan. Talking to these people I was really impressed with there positive attitude to there lot, being away from there families for a year at a time. I was reminded of my dad who came to the uk ahead our family and who said after 6 months of being there that he was lonely and if we never followed he would go back to Cyprus.

What really impressed me was that they worked so hard and sent money home to support there direct family ie wife and children and there extended family, there siblings, parents etc.

This did make me think of how lucky we are with our circumstances in life and that we should be grateful. It also made me think that when they look at us as Christians no wonder they must think we follow a false religion. We are supposed to be the chosen people, we make extraordinary claims of following God incarnate, the only religion that makes the claim that our high priest dwelt among us, suffered and died for us. From these extraordinary claims we lead so very ordinary lives. No wonder non believers look at us and say “no thank you”. I can see why other religions look at the “Christian west” and “cultural Christians” and day they want to part of it. We need to be a beacon of light to show what true Christianity stands for.

(Andrew Bulin) #2

Hey @george.kyriacou,
Thanks for your heartfelt message and sharing a little about your family and the perspective you have in other countries.

I was curious what you think the extraordinary life of a Christian should look like and if you have a reference point. So far I hear you how people make great sacrifices to find work in other countries and send resources back home. I personally have a hard time believing how someone would make that work for long term. A couple of years ago, my wife lived in East Asia for 5 months while I stayed in the United states, worked full time, went to school, and raised our kid. That was rough! But we believed we were passionately being obedient to an opportunity the Lord provided, and that was more important than our comforts.

I’m curious if the extraordinary life that Christ asked us to live is to be radical, all-in faithful believers of Him. If we abide in Christ, we should be able to serve Him to the fullest. And then the extraordinary work and fruit of the Holy Spirit would be evidenced in our lives.

Looking forward to hearing more!

(Dean Schmucker) #3

This is a question that could be expounded upon for a long time, but it’s like Ghandi said, “I like your Christ, but not your Christians, because they are so unlike your Christ”. Why is this so? So many reasons, but I think it’s mostly ignorance of the Gospel, even in the evangelical church. Brother Nee once said that the Normal Christian Life is just Romans chapters five through eight repeated over and over again. Jesus said, “unless you humble yourself, and become as a little child, you won’t see the Kingdom”. The Gospel message is nonsense to the materialist, who does not believe there is a God. It is an absolute offense to the religious crowd, who will not accept that simple belief is all that is needed. But the result of this is that the Gospel, as given to us by Jesus, has not been preached in our churches for many generations. So without the offense of the cross, men do not die to themselves, and can only try to imitate the life of Christ. They don’t know the real thing.

(C Rhodes) #4

@george.kyriacou [quote=“george.kyriacou, post:1, topic:13797”]
[/quote]

I think it probably has more to do with what is considered important in a community. Just as it seems Christianity is in decline because they do not live as sacrificial as others such as in Dubai. It is often said that Christianity is in decline because it requires too much sacrificial living.

It is in Corinthians where we are told, you can give your body to be burned but without love it is nothing. That gives me pause. It seems to say that love is a stand-alone process. That because I give you my last does not necessarily indicate that I love you. That may be an indicator as measured by our World, but our combine history testifies against such assurance. Instead, Love seems to be a process that infuses all aspects of living. Love meets the need. Sometimes that may entail giving, sometimes that can also mean withholding. We do so effortlessly with our children yet we love them.

I Corinthians 13:1-8. " Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor , and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away."

I can’t speak for anyone’s experience but my own. But I don’t see the Church of JESUS CHRIST falling behind in love. I don’t see a decline. I see a bride being prepared for the groom. Social media has persuaded us that if we don’t receive likes, loves, happy faces and other emojis, then we have somehow failed. If people don’t sing our praises we are in decline. If people say we don’t do enough, give enough, speak enough; then we have failed.

Are we human though Christian, absolutely? We will be until we leave this earth. So, is there lack in the Church? There is everywhere humans are engaged. But unlike society, you and I can effect remedy of this lack. By holding each other in prayer. By moving with a love unmatched anywhere in the World. That is how we are known. Everything else can be done without engaging love. But the love we have for each other is our calling card. The agape love that we share for each other, is, in fact, the heart of GOD and the mind of CHRIST.

(George Kyriacou) #5

Hi Andrew

I think the very fact that these guys go so long away from their family’s is evidence of an extraordinary life. They clearly have deep routed love for them. One guy had been away for 12 years! I have to go away on buisiness very occasionally for a few days at a time and I find that difficult! Also to be so self sacrificing for their family but their extended family really impressed me

God bless