Why is God silent?

I heard people saying God talking to them, when they are doing whatever they want to do with their lives, they just don’t seems to care about God. Than why is he silent to those who are trying their best to please him and Believe in him?

3 Likes

I think this is because it is not necessarily what one does, but where one’s heart is.

“Battling” sin is more important than living a moral life. If it were not so, many “moral” atheists would be saved and many sinning Christians would not be saved.

I’m not saying people who don’t “hear from God” on a regular basis are not saved. However, as Jesus says, paraphrasing, “I, Jesus, came for the sinful, not those who are in no need of salvation.” Should it not follow that God would want to communicate to those prodigal sons so that they can be kept in salvation?

3 Likes

Just this morning I was in a study on Habakkuk where we learned that Habakkuk (like Job, Elijah, and many others) was a spiritual Christian, who had a desire to please God, a burden for those who were not, and yet God was silent, God was not acting, and in fact, When God did speak, He said He would judge His people through a worse, pagan nation. The whole book is a dialogue between Habakkuk and God. And at the end, we see God doesn’t solve the problems. God still hasn’t acted. God still hasn’t answered Habakkuk’s questions. But, Habakkuk has gotten to know God a little better through his burden, suffering and prayer.

At the end of the day, that’s what God wants of us, to know Him better. But that doesn’t happen without trials, without periods where it seems we are just plodding along, doing what’s right with no response from Him. It would be hard to find an example of a believer in the Bible who was spiritual and did not have a time when he or she felt God was silent.

2 Likes

@Gwe Good question :slight_smile: I think your question is actually built on a faulty premise in this sense - if someone is disobeying God and has no care for God, then they are not walking in fellowship with Him. Whatever they claim to be hearing, it is most likely not God unless it includes a call to repentance. Secondly, I think the conclusion is false. God is not silent, but He does not always communicate in the way that we want.

I think John 14 encapsulates both of these truths. God reveals Himself to those who honor Him and what He offers us is not necessarily direct guidance or a voice, but rather Himself. We come to know God as we obey and seek Him - through worship and prayer and the Scriptures. It is not always as immediate as we would like but it is very real.

John 14:21 - Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.

You may also find some of the following threads helpful. Christ grant you peace and wisdom :slight_smile:

Pascal’s Approach - God has given exactly the right amount of evidence

Pascal’s approach to the concept of God’s hiddenness is my favorite. In “Christianity for Modern Pagans” Peter Kreeft examines Pascal’s work. One argument Pascal makes is that God gives exactly enough light for the righteous to find Him and for the wicked to reject Him.

"He gives exactly the right amount of light. If He gave less, even the righteous would be unable to find Him, and their will would be thwarted. If He gave more, even the wicked would find Him, against their will. Thus He respects and fulfills the will of all.

If He gave more light, the righteous would not learn humility, for they would know too much. If He gave less light, the wicked would not be responsible for their wickedness, for they would know too little."

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your response. M learning so much from people like you. I thank God as Some of the questions that I’m battling with is being answered with great understanding through people like you.

1 Like

@Gwe So glad to hear that you are benefiting from the wonderful community on Connect :slight_smile: May the Lord Jesus continue to strengthen, guide and encourage you on the journey.