Why is it that the Bible is not to be seen or used in the context of science?

hughross

(RZIM Connect Member) #1

Here's my second question: I've heard that the Bible is not to be seen or used in the context of science, that what it contains will not stand up to scientific scrutiny. I am inclined to think that our Creator would have made references which are meaningful in scientific terms in His Word. I would appreciate if you could comment on that. Thank you.

(Hugh Ross) #2

Though the Bible is not a science textbook, it does contain about 30 chapters worth of content on science, nature, and creation. What the Bible says about science is 100% accurate. Furthermore, the Bible accurately predicted, sometimes thousands of years in advance, over 100 future scientific discoveries. See this scientific accuracy and scientific predictive power in the Bible during my late teenage years is why persuaded me that the Bible was the inspired, inerrant Word of God. That recognition was a major factor in my committing my life to Jesus Christ as my personal Creator, Lord, and Savior.
One reason why many Christians are reluctant to see any science content in the Bible is that they are applying the wrong interpretive tools to the relevant biblical texts and thereby perceiving those texts, if taken literally, as contradicting very well established science. However, the Bible not only commands objective testing, e.g. 1 Thessalonians 5:21, it shows us step-by-step how to put everything to the test. This biblical testing method gave rise to the scientific method. The first two steps of the biblical testing method: 1) Do not interpret until you first establish the point of view or the frame of reference; 2) Do not interpret until you first note the initial conditions. Notice that both these steps are established in Genesis 1:2 as an introduction to the six creation days. If you leave the point of view up in the heavens, above Earth’s clouds, then Genesis 1 is spouting scientific nonsense. However, if you interpret the six creation days from the viewpoint of the surface of Earth’s primordial waters, underneath Earth’s primordial atmosphere (see also Job 38:8-9), then everything stated in the six creation days is scientifically accurate and placed in the scientifically accurate chronological sequence. For details see Navigating Genesis.

(Kay Kalra) #3

(RZIM Connect Member) #4

Thank you, Hugh, for pointing me to the Bible being accurate in its scientific content and predictions. You mentioned that there are 30 chapters worth of content on science, nature and creation. I was wondering if you could point me to where I can get more information on that.

(Hugh Ross) #5

You are welcome. You will find a list of creation passages in the Bible on our Reasons to Believe website. Here is the link: http://www.reasons.org/articles/creation-passages-in-the-bible