Why Is Satan So Evil?

Hi everyone!

I hope you all are well :pray:t3:

I’m having trouble trying to question this.

So, we are all aware of Satan and his army of angels (demons). We often blame him for sin, as if he is sin, but the Bible makes it clear that he is, in fact, a fallen angel and not a metaphor for sin.

My questions is this: Why is Satan so evil? It seems like he was set apart from us, as if he understands a deeper level of evil than we can comprehend. Or am I underestimating our sins as humans?

Please, feel free to reword something if you understand my question!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hello @OJMCKEE interesting question :slight_smile: Well, I think you would have to understand free will. Only with free will is Love truly possible. The thing is evil is also possible. Satan wanted to be God. This is the same sin he tempted Eve with. I think when we dance with the thought that we can define good and evil for ourselves we always fall into trouble.

So why is Satan is so evil? The bible doesn’t really say. We just know he chose himself over God and that was a choice that he couldn’t reverse. His choice from the moment he made it was eternal since he is not made like us. He took a 3rd of heaven with him meaning he was very convincing apparently. When you make a choice that you can not reverse I assume you make the best of it. At this point, I think the devil knows he’s lost but is going to take as many of us with him as possible. He knows God loves us and so why not destroy what God loves, he did it in the garden so he continues to do it to this day. Now, this is all just my personal opinion since there isn’t much scripture go on when it comes to your question. Hopefully, this article will help some.

4 Likes

@Luna That clears some things up! I wasn’t aware that Satan’s decision, along with the other angels’, was eternal. In the article, it states how Satan had the privilege (obviously) to be in God’s presence, yet he still sinned and turned on God, wanting to be Him, so by doing such a thing, in his circumstances, that makes his sin different and worse. At least that’s what I got out of it! Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

From what I remember, Lucifer had the biggest pride of all. He doesn’t have a heart of repentance. And he wants to be God.

2 Likes

Hello Olivia :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for your interesting question. Not one I have ever really thought on. First off, I don’t know if Satan understands a deeper level of evil than is possible for humans, but he certainly seems to have more power to effect evil out-workings upon the earth than what humans can. To your question on why is Satan so evil, it is a question not so much on what evil is but rather on the degree of it.

Scripture says that God is love (1 John 4:8), and therefore God’s nature is that of love. The opposite of love is not hate but selfishness. The less we love the more selfish (self-seeking) we become. So for Satan, as for humans, the more selfish we are the less loving we are and therefore the more evil we become in our nature. In the case of Satan, not only does he desire to be God, he even desires God to bow down and worship him.

Matthew 4: 8-10:
Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to him, “All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me.” Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written,

“‘You shall worship the Lord your God
and him only shall you serve.’”

This is a staggering passage of scripture. Satan is asking the One by whom and through whom he was created, the most supreme being in existence, to lie prostrate before him and worship him. Audacious isn’t the word. I think this pride or selfishness to try and elevate yourself above God, and actively work to do so, is one way in which it leads to a ‘worse’ evil.

This also speaks into our own personal lives in that we must also surrender our lives and wills daily over to God and make sure He is first in our lives.

I hope that is of some help :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

@Brian_Upsher Thank you! This does help. This makes me wonder- If Satan never existed, would another angel eventually try to be God like he did? It’s always been scary to me to know what people, and even the angels at that time, are capable of feeling in our hearts. Not the good, of course, but the evil. I can’t wait to, one day, be united with our Lord and never have to worry about sin in this world again!

4 Likes

@Brian_Upsher Matthew 4:8-10 becomes even more staggering when you consider the extremely sly evil of the temptation. First, Satan seemed to know that Jesus did not want to suffer his sacrifice (cf. Luke 22:42). Second, Satan surely knew that Jesus knew that the Throne would be his after the sacrifice (cf. Psalm 110). Therefore, Satan’s insubordinate offer not only attacks up high with a distracting suggestion that Jesus can avoid the pain of the Cross; it also threatens a sneak attack down low with a subtle insult to his pride. Any other man might have guffawed, “Do you know who you are talking to, Satan? You are talking to the future King of Creation, you worm!” and Satan would have had his victory. Instead, Jesus defeated both attacks with his humble expression of submission to his Father. That is an amazing model for us to follow.

2 Likes

Hi Brendan :slightly_smiling_face:

It is an interesting question to wonder how much Satan actually understood about Jesus’ role on earth. Pride and selfishness have an incredible impact in blinding us from seeing truth. Satan not being an omniscient being means he also has limited knowledge and understanding. An interesting passage in scripture is in 1 Corinthians which says:

1 Corinthians 2: 6-9: "Yet among the mature we do impart wisdom, although it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to pass away. But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory. None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But, as it is written,

“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the heart of man imagined,
what God has prepared for those who love him”

From the above passage it could also possibly apply to spiritual powers. I am not sure if it only means earthly kingdoms and powers, but there is a possibility that Satan, like the rest of humanity, was blind to the knowledge what the Cross would truly accomplish.

But to your other point, I think the humility of Christ is unbelievable. It is difficult to describe the audaciousness of what Satan was actually saying. Imagine the self-control it would take not to obliterate him with a single word. A further question is, how often do we treat God with the same audacious action in a different way? How often do we tell God that we will do whatever He asks, just as long as He does a few other things for us first. We need to watch our own prayers that we are not subtly trying to bribe God. God’s love will not be bought!

May we all grow more in the humility and obedience of Christ :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like