Why the biblical emphasis on Jesus' sinlessness?

Rocko’s question: Why does the bible put so much emphasis on the fact that Jesus was sinless when being God He couldn’t possibly have sinned?

3 Likes

That is a very insightful question, @iDan - (or Rocko). And you’re right - God could never will to violate His own nature - any more than you or I could. I’m glad that you (and Rocko) understand that.

But a lot of people don’t, and so the Bible makes a point to emphasize it because it’s critical to Jesus’ mission - to die for the sins of the world, He must be without sin Himself.

You see, the principle ever since the sin in the Garden has been that for someone guilty to live an innocent one must die in his place (Genesis 3:21 and 4:4). And while that innocent Substitute could be temporarily symbolized by Old Testament animals, no animal’s life was ever really worth the life of a human made in the image of God. In due time, Christ would have to come and offer Himself as the ultimate innocent Sacrifice in mankind’s place in order to pay the penalty for our sins and release us from judgment.

And so it was critical for Him to be sinless in order to be our innocent Substitute.

Does this make sense to you? How about to Rocko?

4 Likes

Hi Daniel @iDan. Jesus, incarnated had a human body and felt everything we felt. Pain, temptation, fear etc. For instance, the last supper and after in the garden before Judah and the soldiers came, he was sweating, shaking, crying from the fear and praying again and again asking his father to take away the cup if he wills but for his will to be done. Also in the dessert when he has not had food for 40 days, the devil tempted him saying you should turn the stone to bread and eat it. So even though he is full God, he was tempted. As humans it is hard for us to understand God in his entireity so I would not fully say it was just easy for him. One day when we go to heaven we can ask him all his mysteries. Because the bible does not have everything nor was it meant to include everything.

I hope this helps too.
God Bless.

3 Likes

Thank you @iDan for the question.
@jlyons & @Danageze i have found your reply very helpful.

To add on what you have said there is a helpful commentary in New Testament on the issue of sacrifices in the book of Hebrews and it goes like this:

“Now when these things had been thus prepared, the priests always went into the first part of the tabernacle, performing the services. But into the second part the high priest went alone once a year, not without blood, which he offered for himself and for the people’s sins committed in ignorance; the Holy Spirit indicating this, that the way into the Holiest of All was not yet made manifest while the first tabernacle was still standing. It was symbolic for the present time in which both gifts and sacrifices are offered which cannot make him who performed the service perfect… until the time of reformation. But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation. Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?.. (Heb: 9: 6-14, NKJV)
“…And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission” (6:22,NKJV)

In chapter 2 the writer states that, “ Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil- and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants. For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.” (2:14- 18, NIV)

The book of Hebrews can be a good read :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you James for your helpful answer. Yes, it’s conclusive to me.

That sentence sums it up perfectly. It has taken me some time to understand these connections. Thank you very much and I hope it helps @Rocko as well.

1 Like

Hi Dan, yes, that helped me (and I hope it helps @Rocko too). Your examples illustrate well that Jesus felt like us and yet remained sinless.

This is indeed difficult. Therefore it is good that we help each other a little bit.

1 Like

Thank you, Patrick, for the appropriate quotations from the book of Hebrews on the subject. I read through some parts of it and came across this verse, among others, which expresses this well:

“For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.” (4, 15 KJV)

1 Like

Another thing I don’t understand is why did satan bother tempting Jesus when he knew Jesus was His creator and the one who banished him from heaven?

Rocko

1 Like

@Rocko. That’s also a glaring point for me as well. Why would satan even attempt to tempt JESUS if there was not the possibility that His mission could be thwarted? Even satan knew the angels would not allow the feet of JESUS to be dashed against the rocks. “Throw yourself down,” satan encouraged JESUS. Why the agony in the Garden of Gethsemane if there was no possible chance JESUS would not follow through with His sacrifice? To say that there was never a chance that JESUS would choose not to die for our sins seems to negate the omnipresence and power that is GOD.

I think it is important to remember that GOD is not limited by the logic or logistics that limit mankind. Though JESUS thought it not robbery to take on human flesh, it always remained His right to decide to not make the sacrifice. To decide to not remain sinless. How would we have possibly known any differently unless JESUS decided to leave that record for our awareness? GOD dictates the knowing, the living and the dying. We spend the majority of our time just trying to explain how it fits into human knowledge and logic. Yet we know our thoughts and ways are not His.and that GOD’s way is so far above us as the heavens are above the earth. Isaiah 55:8-9 kjv.

For me, it speaks to the radical nature of redemption. It is why our righteousness will never rise above the effectiveness of filthy rags. And if I can accept that JESUS died for my sins, His only agenda being agape love. Then I have no problem believing I can live without sin. That price has been paid. That possibility established by virtue of His life here as the son of man. I understand that I need only let that mind be in me that is in CHRIST JESUS. That living free of sin is possible every day when I persist in submitting my will to Him. Every day, each time I must choose. That I can choose just by following JESUS indeed makes His yoke easy and His burden light.

That’s my ‘take’ on a sinless life. Mistakes are a part of being human, sin does not have to be.

1 Like

Thank you for that response which I really appreciate. One more thing I have a problem with.

I became a Christian at age 37 but I continued to sin because I didn’t really understand my responsibility to God after I became a Christian I hurt a lot of people who are no longer here and can’t make things right I am truly ashamed of the life I have lived. God gave me a precious life which I badly abused. I am now a senior with so many regrets and although God has forgiven me, I have great trouble forgiving myself. Do you have any words of wisdom?

Rocko

@Rocko. Your question is all that more amazing because this past week has been a time when the Lord has continued to teach me about the need to forgive. I am learning, forgiving is more about my healing than the offender. How important it is to leave forgiveness for those who have offended us, not because they need it more. JESUS demonstrated this while dying on the cross; when he said Father forgive them, they don’t know what they are doing. We find it difficult to understand such love. Long before we were in this world, forgiveness was left for our benefit. I think we struggle even after accepting that forgiveness. There is something in our nature that insists upon seeing or implementing reversals ourselves. We want to believe our words or deeds diminish the grief. But forgiveness is a gift. We can accept it or not.

Don’t ever believe that the ability of our Lord to forgive is somehow voided because we miss the opportunity to initiate the process in a timely manner. The point of forgiveness is to allow repentance. To want others to see GOD’s face in peace. Anyone who loved GOD left that behind for you. Knowing full well that the arm of the Lord is never too short to save and redeem.

Our hearts can be deceitful. Acting as agents of condemnation against the joy of walking with JESUS. But the Word of GOD tells us, if our heart is against us GOD is greater than the heart within us. 1John 3:20 kjv. His Word also tells us that we are known and understood. Psalms 103:10-17 kjv.

You and I just want to make it home. There we will have an eternity to love, truly love others beyond any love we could have rendered while here. We are beloved by GOD, it is okay to live in the warmth that His forgiveness gives us all. Love right now, right here to the best of your ability. Neither one of us can go back to the Garden of Gethsemane and change the grief He bore for us. Let’s not try. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m doing my best to let the pain of the past go since one second ago in my life is the past which I can’t change . Nevertheless I have found that reading scripture has made a profound difference and trusting God that even now He is not finished with me. Thanks for your words of encouragement and you’re right, I’m homesick for heaven.

Rocko

2 Likes