Why would God create man when he knew many would be damned?

I’ve never had a good answer for this question. Why did God create man when he foreknew that many would be sentenced to eternal suffering in Hell?

2 Likes

Hello @dpelmariley

Very great question.
This is one of the question I think a lot when I was a new born Christian.

My answer to this is presenting two-folds of the story:
1.) God created us with Free will
2.) Man are free to do whatever he wants - with his free will

God has given you the gift of FREEDOM. And we as human beings are not controlled by God. Through that freedom God has given us, we the capacity to “love” or “hate”, to “build” or to “destroy”, to live “righteously” or “sin”

God did not created us for us to be destined to Hell. He created us with freedom, and through our freedom we either “accept” or “reject” the sacrificial act of Jesus on the cross. Through our response to that, we lead ourselves to our destination.

Take this illustration, a bus is going to a place called “Celestial City”, another bus is going to a placed called “Punishment City” God created us with freedom, its either who take the second one or the first.

On the other hand, our freedom also can be used for us to “repent” and the Scriptures says God desires everyone to repent and come to Him. And when we do, we accept Jesus, then our eternal destination is changed.

God did not created us for us to be destined in Hell.
He is loving and gracious to give us freedom.
He reveals Himself to us, and desire that we use our freedom to come to Him.
This is the gospel in a nutshell.

I hope this helps!

6 Likes

Hi, @dpelmariley :wave:

This may not be the exact thing you are looking for but allow me to add a thought on your subject in the form of a question:

Can nothing be better than something?
Can non-existence be better than the bad experiences of existence?

Job chapter 3 echoes this sentiment, obviously out of desperation. But does Job’s statement ring true?

Job 3:3,11
Let the day perish wherein I was born, and the night in which it was said, There is a man child conceived. Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly?

Just my opinion, but I think even those who will be in Hell cannot honestly deny the joy of experiencing existence despite the suffering knowing that they have freely chosen it themselves.

From my personal experience. In the past, it has crossed my mind that it is better to be mentally incapacitated from birth as God will not hold them accountable for their faults and thus will be safe from judgment (another topic). But of course it was a statement of despair. Honestly I am thankful for my mental ability despite the struggles and responsibilities of being able to think and decide for myself.

I think the ultimate answer for your question would be love. It is God’s love that has given us a chance to live a life. It is up to us to choose how are we going to live it. Just as it would be love that would make the parents of a mentally disabled child from the womb to let that child have its chance at living despite the accompanying difficulties for them.

4 Likes

@dpelmariley

Great question! I also asked myself this when I going through a season of doubt and finding who God truly is. Like some people have already said, it all comes down to free will, but I wanted to add more stuff to this so we can understand why our creation is a beautiful thing in itself.

My brother in Christ @domingoosabel explains this concept of free will so beautifully, but I just want to add more onto topic of free will so you-[@dpelmariley]- my sibling in Christ can understand the overwhelming love God has for us!!!

Here it is:
Our very being just reveals to us about God’s overwhelming love!!! Love has to be shared between two entities or more because that is the definition of love. Without free will there is no love, and without love there is no free will. Like my brother in Christ said “God did not [create] us… to be destined in Hell”, but in fact, we as humans decided to make this choice when we ate from the apple of good and evil. You’re probably wondering “since God knew that this would happen, why didn’t he stop us?” it all comes back to the idea of free will. For example, if a child was hungry and the parent gave them two choices between veges and candy, we can automatically assume that the child would 100 percent go for the candy. That’s the same thing with God! He knows that without him there is no good, but like a good parent he gives us choices. Through this, we can say that, God knowing our choices, still doesn’t effect the fact that he gives us free will and unconditional love.

2 Likes

@DCGotiza thank you for these wonderful thoughts. What do you think though of what the Lord Jesus said about Judas that it were better for him to not have been born? (Mark 14:21)

Hi, @ALandis :wave:

I’m not exactly following where you are coming from with this reply-question to my previous response. But to answer your question I would refer you to another of Jesus’s comment:

Matthew 18:6,8,9
But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Recognizing that the Bible as a whole does not approve of self harm we can safely assume that this does not intend to mean what it say in the plain reading. Realizing that the Bible is also a literary work we can consider the phrases in question as a literary device.

Hyperbole is a figure of speech which uses exaggeration to give emphasis to the statement. Thus, the given verses might be read as an exaggerated statements to express the utter repugnancy of sin before God.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me it all comes back full circle to this Jesus who is the Christ and His glorification .
That Grace coming down from heaven may be manifest in the earth, and that many may be delivered.
That His life giving promise which cannot fail can be seen in earth to transform fears into courage, doubts into trust, defeats into victories.
" David encouraged himself in the Lord his God. " ( 1 Samuel 30:6 )

Hi Dennis, I was referring to your statement that even in hell those who end up there would not wish for non existence.

1 Like