Widow and the fatherless

I am a widow for almost 8yrs now and I had a step daughter whom I took care and loved but was taken away from me when her dad died and now the biological relatives forbide us to communicate but my daughter made a way for us to chat through messenger once in a while and made a promised that we will be together again once she turned 18 ofcourse it is all by the grace of God if He will allow us to be together again.
I was a Catholic but I came to know and accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior 2007 but I started to really deepen my relationship with the Lord when my husband died because I thought I need Jesus Christ to give me the peace in the midst of my brokenness and He gave me peace and I am grateful.
I also make it a point that I spend my quiet time everyday and since I have read the Bible cover to cover 4 times already and still reading it everyday, I noticed that God has this big heart for the widow and fatherless, being a widow, this gives me comfort and so much gratefulness in my heart. I can’t explain the love that I feel for the Lord Jesus Christ.
My question is, why does God emphasized his compassion for the widow and fatherless? Many times He mentioned about this in the Holy Bible? As a widow I am full of joy knowing that God is in control over my life no matter what I have gone through and going through right now, I am just curious to know what you guys will say and probably give me some references to read about this?
Thank you very much and may God keep you all safe!
Much love from the Philippines
:pray:t4::blush:

3 Likes

@MC_Flores thank you for bringing this question to our community. I feel that I can partially answer about why God has such great love for the fatherless. I am sure there will be others who will have much better insights into why he cares for widows so much also.

As I write this I am at the dinner table with our new daughter. We adopted a little girl here in China and she has been living with us for the past two weeks. We had a very interesting experience in the embassy two weeks ago where we ran into an issue. Another family who was there prayed with us and the gentleman showed me Romans 8:15.

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” (ESV)

This is referring to all of us that we no longer have a spirit of slavery but that God has adopted us into his family. We are now his children just like my daughter is now mine. All I have is hers. This has always been God’s plan for us. We are all fatherless without him.

It also says the following in Ephesians 1:4-5. It is strange where verse 4 ends. But the end of verse 4 is, “In love”. When I think about this it blows my mind. IN LOVE, he PREDESTINED us for ADOPTION as sons (and daughters) through Jesus Christ according to his pleasure and will. I have emphasized the three words that stand out to me here.

In love - agapae in Greek = unconditional love. He predestined = before he even created the world he chose us to be his children. For adoption = to be in his family, to be co-heirs with Jesus.

I hope this helps a little with understanding his love for the fatherless. Jesus revealed God to us as “our father”. It is amazing :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Hello Marie,
Yes the Fatherless and widows have a special place in Gods heart. I think it is because they are to a degree helpless because thier provider, Father, Husband are no longer there so He becomes thier help an refuge. Just as a genuine loving caring Husband , Father should be…
This link should help. God bless you both.
Mike

([https://biblehub.com/james/1-27.htm)]

2 Likes

@MC_Flores Thank you so much for sharing your story and praise the Lord for His work in your heart and life! I think @brianlalor’s story is an excellent example of how God has called us to love the orphan and the widow.

I think the reason God cares so much for widows and orphans is that He loves us all and knows that widows and orphans are some of the most likely members of society to need help, so God exhorts the strong to help the weak, the rich the poor, and the wise the simple. God is exhorting His people to love one another sacrificially just as He loves us all.

In the OT, the Israelites often failed to help the weak, so God rebuked them by pointing out that there religious observances meant nothing if they failed to help the weak among them. And Paul rebukes the rich for eating feasts in front of those who have nothing to eat and James the Church for giving preference to the wealthy while ignoring the needs of the poor. God cares immensely that we use the gifts He has given us to help those with less.

Some of my favorite verses / songs on this topic :slight_smile:

Isaiah 58:6-10 -“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

Isaiah 56:3-7 - Let no foreigner who is bound to the Lord say,
“The Lord will surely exclude me from his people.”
And let no eunuch complain,
“I am only a dry tree.”

4 For this is what the Lord says:

“To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths,
who choose what pleases me
and hold fast to my covenant—
5 to them I will give within my temple and its walls
a memorial and a name
better than sons and daughters;
I will give them an everlasting name
that will endure forever.
6 And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord
to minister to him,
to love the name of the Lord,
and to be his servants,
all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
and who hold fast to my covenant—
7 these I will bring to my holy mountain
and give them joy in my house of prayer.

1 Like

Thank uou so mucj for your response I appreciate ut very much. I truly believe that your daughter has now found his parents and home she needs. God keep you all safe :blush::pray:t4::heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much I really appreciate it. God bless you :blush::pray:t4::heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the meaningful songs and the encouraging words. I knew how much the Lord Jesus Chrust care so much about all of us that gives me comfort in every day.
God bless :blush::heart::pray:t4:

1 Like

God bless you, Marie Flores! I accepted Christ in 1998 and now I am his servant for God’s Grace. I think that he cares for every human being but he delights more in those who most receive his care, that is to say, those who do not have anyone else: the poor of Yahvé, the widows and the fatherless.