Will God judge us on the way we lived our lives on judgement day?

Hello Tejdor, I was curious if God will judge us on the way we lived our lives on judgement day?

1 Like

Hi Spencer, I am not sure whether I have fully understood your question but let me attempt to answer. Paul in 2 Cor. 5:10 writes –“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.” Yes, according to this verse, we all have to face God’s judgment one day. Those who have not heard the Gospel will be judged on the basis of their works, conscience and general revelation. Those who have heard and rejected the gospel will be judged according to what they have heard and what was revealed to them. Those who have believed will be judged on the basis of how they have lived their lives after conversion and will be rewarded accordingly. In John 5:24, Jesus said “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life”.
I would like to suggest that you can read and study some good commentary on passages relating to the topic of judgment such as Romans 1 & 2, Revelation and others.

So if we receive what we deserve based on the good and the evil we have done on earth, then is it correct to say that when someone accepts Christ as their lord and savior, that they are saved? Because in John 5:24 when God says that someone hears and believes, I would infer that means they must also act out their beliefs to achieve eternal life (James 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves).

Yes, I fully agree with you. Both in the Old Testament and New Testament the pattern is the same. First come redemption then the Law. The Israelites were redeemed from Egypt, then the law was given. Although it is impossible to be perfect in this life but the NT clearly teaches that the mark of our conversion is a transformed life. Jesus said to the adulterous woman “neither do I condemn you. Go, and from now on do not sin anymore”. We cannot claim to be saved and yet continue to live in darkness.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I agree! I’m curious what you think of my next conclusion though. I would say the most important question then is: What consists of a transformed life? I think Peter laid out the way we transform our lives in Acts 2. Specifically in verse 38, it says “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost”. If this was the first message of the church on how to transform your life, shouldn’t we be preaching the same message today?

Hi Moses, you have have ask a very important question because India is a young country with more than 50% of its population below the age of 25. It is expected that in 2020, the average age of an Indian will be 29 years. Considering the population in India (1. 37 billion), these numbers are staggering. When we think of witnessing and Mission, youths play a vital role and if we have to reach India, we need to reach out to the youth. Let me share with you some brief thoughts from my recent talk with a group of Christian workers serving among university Students:

1. Intimacy with God – this must be the top priority of all Christians, young and old. Spending time with God in our daily devotion through prayers and meditation of His Word gives us the strength, wisdom and grace to live out the Gospel. Daniel is a good example of this. He prayed three times a day, meaning he sought God’s face and counsel unceasingly.
  2. Incarnation – As Christians in India, we need to identify and incarnate our self in our society. We are not to segregate ourselves but to build bridges and forge meaningful connections with our non-Christian friends. The Apostle John talking about Jesus said, “the Word became flesh and dwell among us”. Incarnation in our lifestyle, thinking, worship, mission, etc, without however, compromising on the truth and integrity of the Gospel of Christ. E. Stanley Jones book “The Christ of the India Road” is a good resource to read on this topic.
  3. Integration – If Jesus is above all, He is the Lord of both the ‘secular and the sacred’. Nancy Pearcey puts it very well – “We don’t need to accept an inner fragmentation between our faith and the rest of life. … the promise of Christianity is the joy and power of an integrated life, transformed on every level by the Holy Spirit, so that our whole being participates in the great drama of God’s plan of redemption”. We can’t afford to separate our faith from our academics and professions.
  4. Innovation – this is a very important word today, especially in the corporate and business settings. I strongly feel that as Christians, we need to be innovative and creative in finding ways of expressing and sharing our faith. The God of the Bible is a creative being and the universe is evidence of that creativity.
  5. Imitation – Paul said “imitate me as I imitate Christ”. Our young people today are in desperate need of role models and mentors who live genuine and authentic lives. This is, therefore, both a challenge and a call for the older generation to be living examples for the younger ones. However, it is not only the elders who are to be models. The apostle Paul challenged young Timothy to also be an example. Youths can and should mentor others and set good examples for others to follow.
    I hope I have answered your question. The youth will definitely grow in their faith and become more effective in their witnessing if they incorporate these basic principles in their life as a disciple of Jesus Christ.
4 Likes