Will I Be Able to Sin in Heaven?

Christians often say they long for heaven and for the day when the battle with sin will finally be over. But, if we are no longer able to sin in heaven, does that also mean we will no longer have free will? And, if this is the case, what are the implications concerning the character of God and what heaven will actually be like?

This week, Vince and Jo delve into what it means to be free and whether or not the ability to choose between good and evil is necessary for a meaningful life in relationship with God.

2 Likes

Hey @Robert_Repke :slight_smile: Thanks so much for this thought-provoking question and to @Vince_Vitale and @Jo_Vitale for another great episode of Ask Away :slight_smile: You guys are amazing :slight_smile: To answer the main question, will I be able to sin in heaven, my answer is a resounding NO :slight_smile: The person I will be in heaven will be very different to who I am now, in this life. Here on earth, I am bound by this body of death. I can’t say it any better than Romans 7:7-24, about how wretched I am without Christ, that my tendancy is to want to sin constantly. Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death??? I’m so glad Paul included v.25 after his dissertation :blush: “Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!!!” Without the regenerative work of Jesus Christ, I would remain in my sins, I would remain an enemy of God, I would not consider God in my mind at any time, and the things belonging to God would be foolishness to me. I am undone without Jesus Christ. So, the work that He did on the cross is paramount to how and who I am going to be when I die and am in heaven with God, having made the choice in this life to follow Him. When we are resurrected, we will have new bodies, and these bodies will not have the capacity to sin. God does not like sin, nor will He tolerate it. I am reminded of these three things: when Lucifer exalted himself above the throne of God, God cast him out of heaven; when Adam and Eve ate from the tree and fell out of favour with God, God blocked the way to the tree of life (Gen 3:22-24) [my thoughts only here, but God didn’t want us to be in a state of eternal sinfulness, He had a better plan]; when Jesus took our sins upon Himself, in that moment He was separated from His Father. God cannot stand sin, so it wouldn’t make sense He would allow us to have sin in us, once we pass from this life to the next. He would then be compelled to cast us out. But God had a better way :blush: I can’t imagine living in a world where there is no sin, no desire to do wrong, no more temptations, no more disobedience towards God, no evil desires, where everyone gets on with everyone, where there is absolute unity, but I am looking forward to it very much. Where God can once again, as it were, come down in the cool of the evening and fellowship with His creation :blush: And if we do have free will in heaven, it will then be only to choose that which is right, which is holy, which is beneficial for the Kingdom of God. God is sovereign and we have been created for His purpose alone. God has gone to great lengths to bring us back to Himself. Thank You Father for sending your Son Jesus, to redeem us back to Yourself, for making the way so that we can live once again in perfect unity with You. Thank You for sending the Holy Spirit, to be our comforter, who guides us in all things here in this life, and Who helps us rise above who we’re described to be in Romans 7. Thank You that one day we will be released from this body of sin and death and will be made new, so we can dwell with You forever. What a great day that will be!!! :blush:

2 Likes

That line about GOD being free although not being able to choos evil really blew me away (such a paradigm shaker) @Vince_Vitale @Jo_Vitale @Robert_Repke

1 Like

Hi Jason,
I thought that was an interesting perspective as well! But it makes sense when you think about it. If God is absolutely holy, perfect and pure, evil is out of the question for Him. Your comment reminded me of the scripture in Hebrews that says it is impossible for God to lie.

Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek. Hebrews 6:17-20

I loved the idea that Vince stated that (paraphrasing) believers in Christ have already chosen our eternal state in His Presence, so the result is that everything chosen there is good. Praise God!

2 Likes

Amen, bro!

1 Like

Praise GOD!

1 Like

Hello, I am an RZIM GSC academy student. One of the issues I am having with this topic is free will and the problem of suffering. Vince stated Dr. Geisler, and Dr. Craig both lean towards an “inability” to do evil in heaven. My issue is that both gentlemen and I believe Vince, too, uses free will as a nod and reason as to why evil exists in the first place.

Thus, the common question, “Why didn’t God just make a world without the ‘ability’ for us to do evil in the first place?” becomes an imposing philosophical mountain to tackle. Vince does state in an article, that if God did that, the people who do exist now wouldn’t exist. However, the greater good argument could be made to combat that: Humanity as a whole would be better, despite my non-existence.

Now, of course, a variety of other answers could be attempted to be made. But I think Jo offered a much simpler solution, in her ponderings. She provided the biblical idea of transformation and a change in preference for the heavenly human. I believe it was Dr. Clay Jones, who during an interview, offered the biblical concept of maturity in heaven that we do not have yet as a solution. For example, no adult looks at a hot stove and says to themselves, “I am going put my hand on that.” Perhaps sin will be like that to the person in heaven. Add to that the destruction of evils such as death, the devil, pain, temptation, etc…

With the latter reasoning, you can answer the “why didn’t God create without evil” question without compromising a sinless Heaven. It’s not that heavenly people have an inability; they don’t want to partake. The “can’t” becomes a “won’t.” Afterward, you could use Alvin Plantinga’s Transworld Depravity theory, which states that in any possible world, if free will exists, evil will be experienced because of it.

To me, in any possible world where free will is given, sin and evil will be experienced. Although that doesn’t mean it can’t be overcome. Thus in Heaven, evil will simply become extinct.

1 Like

Very interesting. I see your and @Jo_Vitale points

The Answer is “NO”, if you are in Christ you are no longer bound in Sin and neither you can Sin, Because when you are in Christ you are a new person, you being a new person in Christ automatically transforms you to do the will of the Father and being in heaven definitely means being with Christ, hence the answer to the question is definite “NO”.

Thank you, I saw one my sentences was misplaced and vague so I just fixed it. Hopefully everything made sense for you. Again thank for the response.

I think you’re misunderstanding me. I am not saying that people will sin in heaven. I stated that we won’t sin in heaven. You and I agree on that part. However, the question is, “Will I be able to sin in heaven?”. I am saying yes in the sense that free-will allows an option to do so. However, again, as you stated, we are made new. Thus we won’t sin, not because we are unable to, but because we don’t want to. We want to do the will of Father, as you stated.

I would encourage you to put your question about, “Why didn’t God just make a world without the ‘ability’ for us to do evil in the first place?” in Bible Questions for a more complete discussion. (There may already be a post for it!)

I think one of the things to keep in mind is that sin is the cause for separation between God and man and is why Jesus came to make our salvation possible. Sin cannot dwell in the Presence of God, otherwise Jesus could have skipped a trip here because there would be no need for justice. His perfected place for us to dwell does not have to take away our access to free will.

And sin has already been overcome!

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21

God’s perfection and holiness repels all sin/evil. When we reach heaven we will have received our new, imperishable, immortal bodies, and all things are made new and perfected.

So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.

If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. The first man was of the dust of the earth; the second man is of heaven. As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the heavenly man, so also are those who are of heaven. And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we bear the image of the heavenly man.

I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 1 Corinthians 15:42-53 (emphasis mine)

But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells. 2 Peter 3:13

Believers have been clothed in the righteousness of Christ in this life which renders us worthy in God’s eyes to come into His Presence.

I delight greatly in the Lord;
my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, Isaiah 61:10

In this new life we become what we are meant to be which is perfected and sinless.

No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. 1 John 3:6

As we begin to live in His fully revealed Presence, scripture tells us of the perfected state of our eternity which would require the eradication of sin. The imperfect will not dwell with the perfected. The current state of things will be no more.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. Revelation 21:3-7

1 Like