Will Judas be seated on a throne in Heaven? Also, why was polygamy allowed in the Old Testament and not today?

Hi Jacob, I have 2 questions.
My question is on Matthew 19:28. Does Jesus referring to the 12 discpiles to sit on thrones to judge Israel tribes include Judas, as in NIV version it says " you who have followed me…" which includes Judas as well. Does that mean irrespective of Judas betraying Jesus he still is in heaven. I’m struggling with this question very much.
Secondly why was polygamy allowed in old testament and not now ? People often answer it with respect to patriarchal society, but it was patriarchal back then as well now in 21st century. Why did God allow that to happen where as Genesis says the Two shall become one. Please help.

1 Like

Hi Sam,
I went through a few commentaries to look into Matthew 19:28. The beginning of the verse starts with, ‘Truly I tell you, when the Son of Man is seated on the throne of His glory’. This does not signify an actual throne like what the kings sit on, but Jesus is symbolising Glory, splendour and Kingly authority. And it is within this context that the rest of the verse needs to be understood.
12 is a very important and sacred number for the Jews. That is why even when Judas fell out, they choose Matthias in his place. It is very possible that the verse refers to that 12, not Judas.
I will attach a few online commentaries which gives some helpful perspectives.
https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/matthew-19-28.html
https://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/19-28.htm

1 Like

In regards to your second question on Polygamy. Just because God allows something, it does not mean that it is His desire for human beings. We see right from the book of Genesis that Gods plan for humanity was one man and one woman. As you rightly said from Genesis, a man and a woman were called to become one flesh.
But humanity has always rebelled against Gods plan and God in His grace allows this to happen but doesn’t mean He condones it. We see the disasters that polygamy brings in the lives of David and Solomon.
What we always need to point ourselves back to is the intended created order by God, the world and human relationships before the fall.

1 Like