Witnessing to someone who doesn’t see their need for a Saviour

Hi there,

I recently was talking with a coworker about her beliefs. She claims she is a Christian, but her belief seems to be nothing more than “I believe in God, so I’m a Christian, and I’m safe.” I want to witness in her, but I’m not sure how to go about it. How can I help her see her need for Christ? How can I help her see how nominal Christianity isn’t the answer but instead a vibrant, personal relationship with God?

2 Likes

Thank you for your question! I am somewhat in the same predicament with my uncle who feels very much the same way. This is a very common occurrence that we as Christians will face, and to know the importance of priorities when sharing the Christian faith is very important, especially with those you have a relationship with. Looking at Jesus’s example in the Gospels, I have been pondering myself exactly what He meant when He said, “They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.” (Matt. 9:12b) I tend to think that He was implying that “they that be whole” are those who do not see that they have a need and are well in where own eyes, but “they that are sick” are those who clearly feel that they are not well. Jesus never forced Himself onto people. He offered eternal life to any who would receive, but to those that thought they didn’t need Him, He allowed them to walk away. The most impactful testimony of a Christian to a world who is lost is not necessarily the words that we say, but how we live our personal lives. It is as they see our relationship with God, and the love that we have for them as valuable human beings created in the image of God (whether they believe it or not), the more their ears will be open when the opportunity comes for us to share with words. Let your light so shine, regardless of their decision, that they may see your good works, and eventually, the Lord may allow you to be someone who they trust because of your lifestyle that they, too, will come to glorify your Father which is in heaven. I hope that helps in some way.

3 Likes

Hi Hope!

Thanks for the question and it is very nice to read what you wrote and notice God´s love through you reflected in a concern for your co worker. I would like to share two points with you.

1- God is the one that makes us grow:" I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow" 1 Corinthians 3:6-7. I think that if your friend has heard of God, and If you can share with her some passages, videos, songs etc. God will talk to her. As humans we are limited but sometimes God wants us to pray so that other people can listen to his calls.
2-It´s true that God makes things grow. But he also likes to envolve us in what he is doing. If this concerns are in your heart I think you can pray so that the holy spirit can guide you when you talk with her. I think you could use some deep questions like:

• What do you think is your purpose in live?

• Do you think God has a specific task for you on earth?

• Do you think God can talk directly to us? Have you experienced this?

I think questions are a good way to get people to start thinking beyond a belief they claim. If we believe in God, I our lives should demonstrate that.

So, I hope this can help!

God Bless

2 Likes

Hello Hope

A great question and I can tell of your heart for your coworker to come into the experience of the fullness of life that Christ desires to give to all who would receive. @AnnaLinzey and @juansebravo95 have already given excellent advice. Something else that you may find helpful is also asking questions to help you to know and understand your coworker better. This may not even be Christian themes, but could be political, family or other life questions. Gaining greater knowledge about your coworker (because you are genuinely interested in her), also helps to open up channels for deeper discussion. When people know that you are interested in them, it helps them to become more interested in you :slightly_smiling_face:. So your questions may not be necessarily posed initially as a means to challenge her beliefs, but a means to know the person and understand them better. If you find that the person has a other needs in their life, then ask God how you can best love them in their need. Loving people can take many forms and so keep seeking after the Holy Spirit’s counsel.

Blessings :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes