Woman behold your son. Behold your mother

(Maria Olivia Margaris) #1

I was given a task in our Church about this topic. As I was reading the scripture from John about the pain Jesus was going through at that time, I am so moved reading how Christ is suffering like a lamb for a slaughter .But He foreknew what is destined to him,so my question is why is Jesus so worried about His mother? Don’t he have brothers or doesn’t Jesus know that the disciples love Him so as the same love will be given his mother? Or does He implying different meaning on this section of the story?, of course it does have a lots of meaning and I found boundless teachings on this topic on the internet. Please help me understand this more. Thanks for my RZIM family.

2 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@Maria_Olivia_Margaris It appears that Jesus was transferring his responsibility as the oldest son to his most beloved disciple. At this time His actual brothers were not believers. It could be that James / Jesus’ other brothers were simply not present, or it may reflect Jesus’ general attitude towards believers as family, which He expressed in Matthew 12.

Matthew 12:46-50 - While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.

As the oldest son in His family, Jesus had a cultural obligation to care for His mother, and He passed that obligation on to one of His closest friends. John would have certainly obeyed this command. Mary was most likely one of the women in the upper room and was present when the church was established in Jerusalem (Acts 1:12–14). She probably continued to stay with John in Jerusalem until her death. It is only later in John’s life that his writings and church history reveal John left Jerusalem and ministered in other areas.

At the time Jesus hung on the cross, His siblings did not believe in Him. It stands to reason, then, that He would ask one of His followers to care for His mother. He selected John, his closest friend who is consistently referred to as “the disciple Jesus loved,” to take on this responsibility. We can assume that if James had believed in Jesus at this time, He would have received this responsibility.

2 Likes