Women at the Tomb

(Kyle Porter) #1

A nuanced question, but one I’ve been pondering for a few weeks.

In the gospel of Mark, we’re told that there was a group of women that went to the tomb after the crucifixion to prepare Jesus’ body with herbs/spices. If the tomb was sealed, how did the women expect to access his body?

5 Likes
(Jimmy Sellers) #2

It would appear that they were thinking about it.

And when* the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome purchased fragrant spices so that they could go and* anoint him. 2 And very early in the morning on the first day of the week they came to the tomb after* the sun had risen. 3 And they were saying to one another, “Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance of the tomb?” (Mk 16:1–3 LEB).

I think it would be fair to say that rational thought would have been over ruled by grief and emotion and they likely gave little thought as to how they would enter the tomb other than they would need help.

Just my thoughts.

Something for you, have you ever wonder why religious leader never conducted funerals in Biblical times? From what I can tell Priests never dealt with the dead that was the families job.

3 Likes
(Anthony Costello ) #3

Simple, but interesting.

Perhaps they were thinking they could ask the soldiers. Unlikely that Romans would help, but they [the women] were motivated by love. Another possibility: they thought that with the four of them, they might be able to handle it themselves.

Anthony

1 Like