Work of holy spirit

My question is, does the Holy Spirit behave the same way he did from the day of pentecost till present day.

3 Likes

Hello @rockyrich17

You raise a very simple but profound question that can have a variety of implications for us as believers. First off I think we can say confidently that the person of the Holy Spirit is the same today, as He was yesterday….or on the day of Pentecost. He has the same power, the same ability, and the same desire to fulfill the will of the Father. At Pentecost the Holy Spirit began to fulfill His role in the church, which is to empower the believer to live a sacred life. This occurs by what is described best in Galatians 5:16-26. Living a life that honors God, by the sacredness of our actions in the lives we live. This is a blessing to God but it is also a witness to others.
Acts 4:31 describes the apostles being filled with the Holy Spirit and proclaiming the word of God with boldness. I think we have that same availability to that power of the Spirit in this as well. As we read through the scriptures there is examples of the power of the Spirit being given in various times of ministry; prayer, healing, word of knowledge etc. I don’t know of any place in scripture where it is written that the power of the Spirit to work in any of these areas has been removed. Therefor I assume that we still have access to it.

But we must remember that Pentecost and the early days of the church were special times. It was the start of the church! Special times that don’t need to be duplicated within the church. The manifestations of the Spirit in the early church were all done under the will of the Father, according to His plan. I think we need to remember that the Spirit will always be under the will of the Father, even today. So will he “behave in the same way”…that will be up to the Father and His plan in any given situation.
Bless you as you seek to live out the Power of the Spirit in your life as described in Galatians. :grinning:

4 Likes

Thank you very much brother for your time to give a detailed response. God bless you very much, I appreciate your help. This has helped me have a deeper understanding.

2 Likes

Hello @rockyrich17 I agree with @don58.baker that the Holy Spirit never changes because God never changes. (Mal 3:6; Isa 41:4; Heb 13:8). Now regarding if the Spirit still behaves like it did at Pentecost, well yes but no.

Don rightly points out that the early church period were unique times, and that the behaviour of the Spirit depends on the will of the Father. So, on those truthful conclusions the Spirit behaves according to what is God’s will at a specified time, for a specified purpose. And as you are aware the Spirit came down as flaming tongues of fire, and the disciples began to prophecy and to the bemusement of onlookers speak their languages offering praises to God.

And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?
Act 2:8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?
Act 2:9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
Act 2:10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome,
Act 2:11 both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”

So as promised the gospel would spread to the nations, and this was perhaps the miraculous starting point to ultimately fulfill the Father’s promise and will, through Jesus Christ our God. (Rom 16:26; Gen 22:17)

Going back to the question. The uniqueness of that event (speaking in audible and interpretable tongues to the masses, and the flaming tongues) might not be something the Spirit would do today, but it is neither something of which the Spirit is incapable of doing today. So maybe a no here for flaming tongues of fire: nothing is impossible for God.

But as Don points out there’s nowhere in the scripture that indicates the Spirit no longer allows believers speak in tongues, and I have heard many stories about tongues, (not irreverent babbling), but actual audible tongues that edify unbelievers. For example, a businessman was working with Jewish people, not knowing their language at all, and behold, the Spirit took over and he spontaneously spoke in in their tongue praising the Messiah, and thus converting them. Unbelievers are being converted to Jesus like this even today, but it is safe to say that this is both a rare occurrence, and often testimonial. Still, a yes here for tongues.

This is what matters:
the Spirit guides us in truth and it equips us with the good fruits of our salvation. That urge to constantly pick up the bible and read it is the work of the Spirit, as is our conviction when we commit a sin. And when we are obedient, the Spirit makes Christ our friend where we can feel His presence in an intimate way. (John 14:16; 15:26; Joh 16:13; Eph 5:9; Gal 5:22-23)

In general, the Spirit does behave the same way as it did at Pentecost, just not necessarily producing events in such a unique manner as Pentecost. We don’t particularly see any flaming tongues flying around: it was the power of God suitable at that time, according to his will. The Father does as he pleases, and if he wishes to do something miraculous, he will. However, we must have spiritual discernment in these matters, lest we be deceived. 2 Cor 11:14

I hope this helps a bit.

2 Likes

Yes I agree the Holy Spirit is alive and well. Holy Spirit works today. There is much discussion about speaking in tongues and miracles. No-one can argue with another person’s experience unless it violates scripture. Certainly God has a right to act as he pleases. I always appreciated my husband’s response. He said, “Let God be God!”

3 Likes