Support RZIM Connect

Worldview Concepts in Popular Culture

We’ve been watching for signs of humanism in our culture (Humanism: What is it? Where is it? (Chapter 5, Pt. 1)). This was more challenging than I expected. I find worldview clues, but I don’t always know how to label the worldview. To make matters worse, I know almost nothing about popular culture. Would you help me?

Let’s watch for worldview clues in popular culture. If you find a clue, post it here even if you can’t identify the worldview. Maybe we can figure out together which worldview it represents. “What’s Your Worldview?” by Tracy Munsil lists basic questions that worldviews address. Whenever our entertainment touches on one of these questions, it’s reflecting a worldview.

• Is there a god and what is he like?
  • What is the nature and origin of the universe?
  • What is the nature and origin of man?
  • What happens to man after death?
  • Where does knowledge come from?
  • What is the basis of ethics and morality?
  • What is the meaning of human history?

“Beyond Entertainment” by Chuck Edwards mentions Gladiator, The Matrix trilogy, and The Truman Show. It supplies a similar list of worldview questions, connecting them to academic disciplines.

• Theology: Is God real and what is God like?
  • Philosophy: What is the nature of reality and how do we know what is true?
  • Biology: What is the origin of life?
  • Psychology: What is the nature of man?
  • Ethics: What is morally right and wrong?
  • Sociology: How should society be structured?
  • Law: How should we maintain justice?
  • Politics: How should government should be structured?
  • Economics: How should we steward the resources that God has given us?
  • History: What can we learn from the past and where is history headed?

For a jump start in our exploration, check out another article by Chuck Edwards, “Discerning Worldviews in Movies: Theology, Philosophy and Psychology in Star Wars.”

2 Likes