You have permission to be an evangelist

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi friends,

We can all carry voices around in our heads and hearts that say, “I’m not an evangelist, I’m not like Ravi, I’m in the second class…” etc. etc.

A simple word: you have permission to be an evangelist. God wants this for you.

From Matthew 28:

16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

You have permission. You can share the gospel whenever you want to. The God of all power is with you always. He has commissioned you to help your neighbor by telling them the good news. Let’s spur one another on!

(Jeff Thornton) #2

I am so glad you posted this! On the whole, I completely agree with your statements. But I also struggle with what this commission means to each of us today, some 2000 years later:

Jesus gave the Matthew 28 commission specifically to the eleven disciples, while they were alone with him on a mountain.

To others in the NT, Jesus simply said to go and sin no more or to love God & love your neighbor as yourself.

Absent a more direct calling in our own lives, should more of us “second class” Christians consider our commission more a matter of loving God and loving our neighbors than “making disciples of all nations?”

thoughts?

(Melvin Greene) #3

One could argue that to love your neighbor is to share the gospel. I think Jesus intended all His followers to share the gospel in the place that God has put them. Some are called to foreign lands, while others in their home towns.

(Tim Ramey) #4

I really miss Nabeel so much. Last night I viewed a YouTube interview of David Wood who brought Nabeel to Jesus. Nabeel truly desired Truth and he paid a great price for doing so. Yet, I am so glad that David took the years to walk with Nabeel to the cross. What a tragic loss for so very many if David had said that he really didn’t know much about Islam and didn’t have the time anyway and would have walked away from Nabeel. Praise God that David was faithful to the Lord and that Nabeel desired truth in his inner most being. If we truly love, we’ll want to share what we know with the world. There are many Nabeels out there who need a David to walk with them.

(Carson Weitnauer) #5

Hi @jeffbt14,

Great question! I think you’re right, Jesus did give this commission to the eleven disciples. Yet, explicit in the commission was that those disciples were to be “teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.” If we are to observe all that Jesus commanded the original disciples, then what Jesus taught them is also a message to us.

And all the commands are integrated together as we grow in maturity and wisdom, so there ultimately cannot be any divide between loving our neighbors and making disciples of all nations. Depending on our circumstances, it may mean we focus on “the nation” right around us - the person next door, the co-worker we see every day, and so on.

Secondly, I just want to challenge the idea that there are any ‘second-class Christians.’ I don’t think it is a helpful way of thinking about ourselves, I’m just not sure there’s any Scriptural support for it. For one, it places us in comparison to others. For another, it implies that the honor God has given each of us as his sons and daughters could be added to by our own talent or accomplishments (or some other factor). Third, even what we do accomplish is done by God’s grace. Finally, whatever crowns we receive, we throw them all down at God’s feet in heaven!

I hope this helps?

(Jeff Thornton) #6

Agree with everything you just said!

(Jeff Thornton) #7

I borrowed your “second class” comment from the original post, sort of tongue in cheek. Maybe I misinterpreted your use of the phrase. Either way, I agree with your clarification on this.

I appreciate all of the comments and encouragement with the post.

I like the idea of “focus(ing) on ‘the nation’ right around us - the person next door, the co-worker…” I listened to a Bob Goff Facebook Live session the other night where he was promoting his new book, Everybody Always. He leads with love in absolutely everything he does, from his neighbors to the witch doctors of Uganda. It’s stressful thinking about evangelizing sometimes. When I remind myself it all starts with sharing God’s amazing love & grace, whimsically when possible; the stress fades into the background.

(Carson Weitnauer) #8

Hi Jeff, that’s a good word!

When I remind myself it all starts with sharing God’s amazing love & grace, whimsically when possible; the stress fades into the background.

I think the point of my original post was that we can have these negative voices about our role in the Body of Christ, BUT Jesus has freed us from this - he is the one who has given us an identity and a commission - so we go in freedom and confidence!