Your One Thing from S3 E4 (Chapter 2, Pt. 2)

I’ve had a little trouble keeping up with the Cover to Cover discussions because I needed time to watch Ravi’s memorial service and remember his life. I appreciated Shawn’s and Ivy’s comments about eternity in Cover to Cover Episode 4. With Ravi’s homegoing, we’ve been thinking about heaven. I look forward to rereading his thoughts about eternity in Jesus Among Secular Gods. Then I’ll be ready to share one thing for this week.

What is your one thing? How is God calling you to think, speak, or act differently this week because of what we learned in chapter 2?

1 Like

My favorite quote from this week’s episode is Shawn’s simple comment, “Right now is part of eternity.” I’ve made the same mistake as the people with whom Shawn dialogued–I thought of eternity as starting when I die. Eternity is now.

This changes the way I feel. In 2 Corinthians 4:18 (ESV), Paul said, “As we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” I try hard to live for the eternal, but too often temporal things have controlled my emotions because I still thought I lived in time.

More importantly, considering my current state in eternity changes my understanding of the nearness of God. Isaiah 57:15 (ESV) says, “For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity…” God is in eternity. As long as I think I’m in time, He feels distant. But He hasn’t left me there.

Ravi summed it up so well at the end of the chapter when he explained John 3:16.

The starting point is filial;
The giving is unconditional;
The gift is relational;
The range is eternal;
At the core it is judicial.

“The eternal God is your dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms…” (Deuteronomy 33:27 ESV).

2 Likes