Your One Thing from S3 E5 (Chapter 3, Pt. 1)

I’ve been trying hard to choose one thing every week, but I realized recently I need to pay closer attention to the question itself. Shawn and Ivy have challenged us to answer the following question every week:

What is your one thing? How is God calling you to think, speak, or act differently this week because of what we learned?

Too often I feel like I haven’t found a personal application until I can say how I’ll speak or act differently. Shawn and Ivy included thinking in their question. Romans 12:2 calls us to be transformed by the renewing of our mind. The options are wide open as we choose one thing. What’s yours this week?

I’m not even pretending to choose one thing this week. I’m picking two.

I appreciated Vince Vitali’s clarification about the questions science can answer and the questions it can’t. Recently, a friend was telling me about his college courses, and he much preferred the science classes over philosophy. I got the impression he thought science answered the big questions. I couldn’t think of a follow-up question, and it wasn’t a setting in which I could pursue the conversation. If the topic comes up again, though, I’d like to know if he agrees science can answer what and how questions but not who and why questions. Would he consider who and why questions important?

I also enjoyed the paragraph on page 67 about our extraordinary universe.

The conclusion: We live in a miraculous world! Regardless of whether you’re a theist, an atheist, or an agnostic, no one can get around that fact. No one has the choice to believe only in the ordinary. We have not been left with that option. I call this the normality of the supernatural, and I find that many people just haven’t considered it. They’ve just gone about their days with their heads down, not realizing that the fact that they are walking around as part of an observable universe nearly one hundred billion light years in size is absolutely astonishing.

I’m afraid I’m one of those people who goes about each day as if I have a normal, boring life. I don’t. I’m fearfully wonderfully made by the Creator of an incredible universe, and I’m choosing to live with an appropriate amount of excitement this week.