Your Way Of Sharing The Gospel

Hi everyone, I have been eager to share the gospel with others and aiming at sharing it with more people than what I did last year which was about 7 people.
I was wondering if anyone could share how they start off a good conversation that leads them to the gospel.
What is the main question you use to transition from conversation to the beginning of the good news?

6 Likes

@JosephG23 this is probably the most important question I will answer this week. Thank you for asking it :handshake:

I believe it depends on the context you are in. Earlier today I was on the phone with a friend of mine from home and with him, I could speak directly about salvation and about the importance of our relationship with Christ, but in other contexts, I feel I cannot be so direct. I will share three ways I have used.

The 3-4-5 Grid

Using this method you ask the following questions to a person. It gives you insight into their worldview and usually, the person will ask you back what you believe. This opens up the opportunity for you to share. The questions are:

1. What do you believe is the origin of life? (Origin)
  2. What is the meaning of life? (Meaning)
  3. How do you know right from wrong? (Morality)
  4. What do you believe happens after death? (Destiny)

The Romans Road

Using this method, you use five scriptures from the Book of Romans to present the gospel to somebody. I advise having the scriptures in the person’s mother tongue. The four scriptures are:

Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 5:8 - But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 10:9 - if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Testimony

The final and possibly most powerful way is our testimony, sharing how Jesus brought us personally through the Romans Road and into relationship with him. As my friend who I shared with today knows my testimony already, I shared with him the the testimony of another friend of mine from home, who he could relate with. As I write and reflect on this I realise I have been sharing with this friend of mine for about a decade, however, I have not been praying for him regularly. Perhaps prayer is as or more important to sharing the gospel, something I need to grow in.

6 Likes

Joseph, Brian’s answer is spot on. Context, the situation you are in, circumstances, etc all these things play a part in how to share the gospel. I’ve learned a few things. The first thing I would do is to learn and memorize a simple plan of salvation. Brian mentions the Roman road which is excellent. Over the years I have memorized the 4 spiritual laws, the gospel in the OT when I share with Jewish people and the Bridge illustration. You don’t have to memorize all those methods just take one that you are comfortable with, and you can interchange and use what is fitting in the situation you are in. I like them all but my favorite is the Bridge because I can sit in a coffee shop or restaurant pull out a napkin and share visually the plan of salvation. When you share it on paper (draw) instead of quoting a passage it appeals more to the person. That has been my experience and then I have the person read a passage out loud. It has worked all the time. You can be creative and use the Roman road and say are you familiar with the Roman road or the Bridge illustration? It always works. In the end, you have to feel a person out find out where he is coming from. It’s just being a good listener and friend.

Lastly, have tracts good solid tracts. To my knowledge, we do not have tracts that speak to the very issues young people, intellectuals, academia, and this generation could read that is short, concise and to the point. We need tracts that speak to issues that people are asking the RZIM team. There are a lot of creative people with good writing skills and illustrators that can produce well constructed small tracts that answers question people are asking. Maybe this could happen. I hope I answered your question. Psalm 32:8

2 Likes

@JosephG23 I think that @brianlalor and @a1781 answered you well. I only have Matthew 10:19 to add: “When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour” (ESV). You are not being persecuted, but the principle of letting the Spirit speak applies. God has a funny way of monkeying with our preparations!

2 Likes